Mysterious Drop Shadow Around Transparent PNG's When Exported to PDF

Discussion in 'PowerPoint' started by KarenMurphy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. KarenMurphy

KarenMurphy

I'm importing transparent high resolution png's into a ppt presentation. I've imported a solid blue png that is the background for these png's. The problem is that when exported as a PDF - there is a slight drop shadow around the pngs. Can anyone help me understand how to stop the drop shadows from occurring? And where can I control the qmage quality of the PDF I'm outputting? I'm familiar with the Adobe Suite but not that familiar with PPT.
    Many thanks for any help. BTW- have tried in both offisce 2004 & 2011.
    Below is the original - with blue background:
    original.jpg

Below - example of the strange dropshadow in exported PDF
    problem.jpg

KarenMurphy, Jun 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. KarenMurphy

KarenMurphy

I'm so used to the fabulous Adobe forums. Does anyone answer these questions here in this forum?

KarenMurphy, Jun 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. KarenMurphy

Ian Administrator

Yep, we do, I guess no-one knows the answer to this one though :(.

My only thought would be to add the blue background to the PNG outside of PowerPoint, but that's not ideal. Which method are you using to save as a PDF?

Ian, Jun 15, 2014
  4. KarenMurphy

KarenMurphy

many thanks for answering! I've tried a few things.
    Print > Save As PDF.
    Print > Save As PDF-x Gives a better quality but not great -- and this way - you can only print 1 page at a time - not good for a 21 page document.
    I think - also Save as & Export as PDF.

So one way to approach this is - do you know where the settings are for image quality -- compression etc?
    I've also tried exporting the PNG's in MUCH higher res - that is somewhat better - but still great - and the shadow just seems to go white -- so now it's got an embossed effect instead of a drop shadow.
    I's so used to InDesign>PDF - because I know the many variations of compression etc. But Can't see where they are - or even if that kind of attention to Print quality is part of PPT. Again, Many thanks!

Also - the Person I'm doing the project for wanted Transparent PNG's. So the blue background wasn't an option for this project. Excellent suggestion though.

KarenMurphy, Jun 15, 2014
  5. KarenMurphy

Ian Administrator

Do you know which PDF printer you are using? I suspect that may be where the problem is. Is it Foxit PDF printer that you have installed?

Ian, Jun 17, 2014
  6. KarenMurphy

KarenMurphy

I assume I am using Adobe Acrobat. I never downloaded Foxit -- and I did a search for it on my machine -- but no such thing turned up. many thanks again for your reply to this ongoing mystery!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    KarenMurphy, Jun 17, 2014
  7. KarenMurphy

Ian Administrator

You could try installing Foxit Reader (free) and try that PDF printer instead, it may work differently to the Adobe PDF export - worth a shot!

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to suggest unfortunately. :(

Ian, Jun 18, 2014
  8. KarenMurphy

KarenMurphy

A good suggestion - but the problem is we can't control what PDF Printer the client-or the broader audience for these documents use - so that solution won't work in this scenario.

Can you tell me where in PPT the print & output quality / image quality etc has it's controls and settings?

Many thanks for all your help!

KarenMurphy, Jun 18, 2014
  9. KarenMurphy

Ian Administrator

I don't have Adobe installed, but if you have an Adobe PDF printer listed, there should be a "printer properties" link under the printer selection dropdown (in 2013 at least). On my Foxit PDF printer, I can choose image resolution, compression type, etc... so I hope it is the same with Adobe.

Ian, Jun 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements