Names with special characters in it

K

Korakal

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Hi!

For about three years I have been using Entourage (2004 and 2008) and something that took my attention the first time still seems to be there in the current version (12.2.3) of Entourage 2008.

I'm using it with an Exchange server (formerly 2003, now 2007) and everything works ok, except for one thing.

Some collegues have special characters in their names, i.e. the ë in Daniël. Usually, a name is formatted 'lastname, firstname' (Van Vleuten, Daniël). However, independent from where the special characters are present, when either the firstname or lastname contains such a character, Entourage only displays the lastname.

Replying behaviour then is also strange. If I reply an e-mail to such a user, I get two addressees instead of one. One address is only the lastname - with no e-mailaddress connected to it. The other address lists only the firstname, but with the correct address to it.

So, if I reply to mr Daniël van Vleuten (Entourage displaying 'Van Vleuten' instead of 'Van Vleuten, Daniël'), I get an e-mail being sent to:
- 'Van Vleuten'
- 'Daniël'

I always have to delete one of the addresses before sending out the e-mail.

The actual e-mail address never contains any special characters, it is only the name being displayed. Outlook on my business pc handles everyting correct.

I would really like to file this as a bug to Microsoft, but the only thing I see is how I can get paid support. I don't need support, just file a bug :)

Mark

W

William Smith [MVP]

Ask a Question