No "Chart Option" feature in the FormattingPalette or when double click on Chart

A

ABBOND

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have read a discussion board concerning this issue but it was from 2008 and no solution was offered yet. The problem is as follows: one creates a graph but cannot add a title or format the axis etc.

When I open a new spreadsheet and enter the data, I can create the graph. However, I cannot select the "Chart Option" to change any specific features. On the formatting palette I only get the "Page Setup" options but nothing relating to the chart and when I double click on the graph the "Chart Option" is greyed out. It seems that this issue consists since a while and nothing has changed yet. Also the workbook is not secured as I have not set up any of these settings so far. So where is the problem and how can I change it?

The only way I can create graphs at the moment is with "Microsoft Graph" which is an additional software within in the Microsoft Office 2008 package. However, I cannot change any data after extracting the graph and placing it in excel, word or powerpoint and cannot save the worksheet itself as well.

C

CyberTaz

Your "problem" appears to be 2-fold;

1- In order for the Formatting Palette to display features relevant to the
chart the chart must be selected. If the chart isn't selected the FP
displays its typical Font, Number, Page Setup, etc. formatting groups.

2- To select the chart, *click it* -- one click, not a double-click. A
double-click opens the Format dialog window pertaining to whatever element
of the chart you happened to double-click. While that dialog window is open
you can't use the Formatting Palette.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

A

ABBOND

Thanks Bob,

but that doesn't solve the problem.

For number 1. the graph was selected and thats why the FP only stated Page Setup and no other option.

To 2. you are right but what I meant was the right mouse click as you have it on the Window PC. So basically the menu opens with the possibilities of Copy, Cut Paste, Help, etc. but the selsction "Chart Option" is greyed out. Thus I can't select it and work with it.

Would you have any solution for this problem?

Thanks for now

C

CyberTaz

Have you flipped the Toolbox over [bent arrow @ right end of its Title Bar]
to confirm that the box for Chart Options is checked?

What is the exact update level of both Office & OS X? Have you repaired disk
permissions & restarted your Mac? Are you using the OS X Spaces feature? If
so, what happens if you turn it off?

Is this a new problem that has recently arisen or has it been the case all
along? Is this a new sheet in a pre-existing workbook? What if you create a
chart in a new file?

Exactly how are you creating the chart? What is the type/subtype?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question