OE 6 file associations

J

jc

I'm using Win XP/SP2 and outlook express 6. How do I create the file
associations needed to open .pdf files within OE? I have instructions for PP7
but not 2010, which I unfortunately downloaded instead using the older program.
The instructions for PP7 do not work for the newer version of PowerPoint.

I do not have the "do not allow attachments..." box checked in OE options and
the files open normally from a disk or HDD. I'd just like to be able to open,
view and delete them while using OE.
Regards,
jc

Reaction score
A year later...

I have the same problem a year later with PDF files and there are many posting but few solution. Some even suggest a reinstall of XP. I am posting this now as a reference.

The most likely cause is that an Internet Explorer IE upgrade (IE8?) on XP has broken the internal Outlook Express 6 (OE6) file association while the general file associations in XP is still fine and continues to work. If you receive a file via email then double clicking the attached file in Outlook Express used to open it in the same application that XP would when you double clicked using File Explorer. From reading the many posting on the net my conclusion is that IE8 stuffed up the OE6 file associations and PDF, JPG etc no longer work inside OE6

The solution to this Microsoft introduced feature is to save the file elsewhere and then to open it either by double clicking the file (using File Explorer) or by opening the file in the default application.

Regards
BarryK

Ask a Question