Office 2003 SP3 wont allow my Brother MFC to scan to email...

R

Rocketman

I am using a brother mfc-8460N with my windows xp professional based pc. I
have office 2003, and until just recently, I was able to use the "scan to
email" function from both the button directly on the printer and the Brother
gui "control panel". After installing the SP3, I am now getting an error
popup box saying "The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch
you are using." Now this tells me that the printer is sending a command to
Outlook (new memo?) after scanning and that the switch is no longer valid in
the outlook database. Is this a "security" feature, and if so, how do we get
around it?

R

Rocketman

I have tried both options given, to no avail. I had to create both sets of
registry keys and values - neither of the keys listed in the KB articles
existed. I even tried creating each type of value for the first option,
since no specific type was listed (string, binary, DWord, etc..). I also
tried creating both keys listed in the second option, still no success.

R

r cuzner

Read the previous posts on this problem and MS at least thinks they have solved it. Visit link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312346 They seem confident enough - and when I ran Mailto: from the Start/Run menu, as they said, Outlook fired right up - but never from Brother's MFC completed scan.

I doubt that any of the MFCs are working now. Funny thing, I did have it working several months ago. I seem to recall an Outlook '03 update in there somewhere but wasn't using the scan feature at that time.

Brother certainly has a responsibilty to chase this down even if it is a MS problem. They owe to their loyal customers.

If someone has a sure fix or can get to Brother for an answer, we all want to hear about it. Thanks!

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

R

Rob Chen

I am assuming you are using the Control Center 2 software for the MFC-8460N. There is a bug in the Brother software code that does not allow you to scan to email once you upgrade past Office 2003 SP3.

You need to download the "Control Center2 update tool" from Brother:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...2=2&os=7&flang=8&dlid=dlf003221&dispforlist=1

Or, google "Control Center2 update tool". This was released June 2008.

Regardless of which Brother model you are using, the Control Center2 update tool should be the same. It worked for me on a MFC-8460N and on 3 other Brother MFC's of a different model.

Pitfall: In the process of troubleshooting, I found something on google about changing DEP settings. It didn't work and caused further errors.

Another pitfall: Keep in mind that there is a separate update for Control Center 3. This one won't work if you're using Control Center 2.

P

Peter Foldes

once you upgrade past Office 2003 SP3<

Just out of curiosity. What is available past Office 2003 SP3 ??? Can you enlighten me

Ask a Question