Office 2008 Upgrade - Applications no Longer Open

T

thecat131

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hi there

Microsoft AutoUpdater installed the latest update for Microsoft Office this morning.

When I opened Word, the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant came up, so I accepted the License Terms and keyed in the relevant info.

Set Up Assistant then said it needs to identify a version of Office that is eligible for upgrade, so I clicked Browse, Microsoft Office 2008. I'm then told 'the selected application is not eligible for upgrade'

So I have two questions:
Can I uninstall the upgrade so I can go back to using my 'old' version of Office 2008 or do I need to uninstall/reinstall using the discs?
I didn't see anything before the upgrade installation telling me I wasn't eligible - did i miss something?

Cheers

F

Fekhten

Uh oh...

I recently switched to Mac because I was having WAY too much of this kind of problem in Windows (along with terrible quality hardware by big name manufacturers). What finally broke the camel's back was downloading and installing Service Pack 2 for Vista: it crashed my machine, requiring me to reinstall Windows. When I did that, and then attempted to reinstall my upgrade to Vista Ultimate, I got a message that said I was ineligible to do so. Ugh. After issues with XP Professional on a backup machine, I finally gave up, got a MacBook Pro and have been loving it!

So far I like Word 2008 for Mac. I hope I'm not in for more of the same terrible experience I had in the Windows environment....

Sorry for digressing here. thecat131's post just worries me whether updates are going to ruin the whole experience of using Office 2008 on the Mac.

-Fekhten

D

Diane Ross

Microsoft AutoUpdater installed the latest update for Microsoft Office this
morning.

The MAU does not automatically update you. YOU have to select to download an
install.
When I opened Word, the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant came up, so I
accepted the License Terms and keyed in the relevant info.

There is a known problem where the Setup Assistant loops, but what you are
describing does not sound like this issue.

There is also a problem with some product keys causing the Setup Assistant
to popup.

Invalid Product Key after updating to SP2
Set Up Assistant then said it needs to identify a version of Office that is
eligible for upgrade, so I clicked Browse, Microsoft Office 2008. I'm then
told 'the selected application is not eligible for upgrade'

This is not a usual error. It sounds like you still have Office 2004 or
Office X installed and clicked on the wrong file.
So I have two questions:
Can I uninstall the upgrade so I can go back to using my 'old' version of
Office 2008 or do I need to uninstall/reinstall using the discs?

No, you have to either drag back a backup copy of Office 2008 or re-install.

Steps to re-install Office

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/reinstall_steps.html>

Ask a Question