B

bksatwh

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

OS 10.6 Snow Leopard
2 GHz intel duo
2 GB 677 MHz Ram
Office 2008 12.2.0

When I run any office module it does not load, when I run Word I just get "optimizing fonts" message and I have to force quit (application not responding). It runs in safe mode but when I try to do the update, even in safe mode, to 12.2.1 it says it says that "a version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume". I did a reinstall from the CD in safe mode (quit all programs, select remove Office, restart after install) and then tried to install the update after a restart and same problem. Have done this at least 3 times. Before doing all this in safe mode I tried to removed everything from login items except Safari and Mail but no difference. I am open to any ideas.

G

geek1954

OS 10.6 Snow Leopard
2 GHz intel duo
2 GB 677 MHz Ram
Office 2008 12.2.0

When I run any office module it does not load, when I run Word I just get "optimizing fonts" message and I have to force quit (application not responding). It runs in safe mode but when I try to do the update, even in safe mode, to 12.2.1 it says it says that "a version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume". I did a reinstall from the CD in safe mode (quit all programs, select remove Office, restart after install) and then tried to install the update after a restart and same problem. Have done this at least 3 times. Before doing all this in safe mode I tried to removed everything from login items except Safari and Mail but no difference. I am open to any ideas.

I had a similar problem, it was not allowing me to launch any application because it would not activate. I somehow had installed the trial version and did not get a clean uninstall. The agent at the call center was able to remove all the related files from my macbook. I was able to reload, update and activate after that.

B

bksatwh

This was installed from the purchased cd so it was not the trial version. It used to work but didn't after the 10.6 install.

C

CyberTaz

Font issues are one of the reported conflicts inflicted by the upgrade to
SL. Try this & see if it puts things right:

1- Run Font Book to Resolve Duplicates & Verify Fonts,

2- Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions,

3- Shut down the Mac, then restart & see if the apps will run.

I'm not sure it will enable applying the 12.2.1 update ‹ I've seen some
reports that indicate potential obstacles to using the current updaters in
10.6 but I haven't made the switch myself & have yet to have any
confirmation or rebuttal. At worst, though, you should be able to continue
using Office at whatever update level it was prior to switching to SL.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

B

bksatwh

It works!! In the old days it was always (95%) font conflicts. I haven't thought about that for a while. Turns out I had a few Datafork TrueType fonts from 2005 that were causing the problem. Once I deleted them Office worked. Thank you so much.

As for 12.2.1 that is a different story. When I go into the app and select Word, Excel etc and get info they all say 12.2.0. When I go and get info for MicrosoftOffice.framework it says 12.2.1. I have no idea how it got to .1 and the other didn't. Ideas?

D

Diane Ross

As for 12.2.1 that is a different story. When I go into the app and select
Word, Excel etc and get info they all say 12.2.0. When I go and get info for
MicrosoftOffice.framework it says 12.2.1. I have no idea how it got to .1 and
the other didn't. Ideas?

This is correct. Not all applications are updated with each update.

Verify Office Files Were Modified
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/verify.html>

B

bksatwh

followed the link to verify Office files and the License_error.rtf date is different than the date on the other 3 files. The instructions say the date should be the same on all four files (InfoPlist.strings, License_error.rtf, License.rtf and Localizable.strings). Could this be the problem?

D

Diane Ross

followed the link to verify Office files and the License_error.rtf date is
different than the date on the other 3 files. The instructions say the date
should be the same on all four files (InfoPlist.strings, License_error.rtf,
License.rtf and Localizable.strings). Could this be the problem?

I gave you the wrong link. Sorry.

Verify 12.2.1 update

<http://tinyurl.com/mm5u77>

B

bksatwh

Will it shows 12.2.1 so I guess I am good. Thank you and all the others for your help. It is much appreciated.

Ask a Question