OLAP Cube access from a different machine

S

Selgin

Hi all

I have a Project Server 2003 setup where project server, sql server and Sharepoint are all installed and running on the one box.

When I login using my domain account on the project server machine, and click on say "Analyze projects in Portfolio Analyzer", I can see the OLAP cube fine

However, when I login to a different machine in the same domain using the same domain account, I get the error
"Unable to access the Microsoft Office Project Portfolio Analyzer OLAP cube
The cube may not exist, or you may not have permissions to access the cube.

My domain account is a member of the OLAP Admins group, and is a member of a role in that OLAP cube.

Note, I am having this problem with an instance of the sample site data I installed after installing project server. ie. http://server/sample. I don't get this problem with the default project server site ie. http://server/projectserver

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Selgin

E

Eran Dvey-Aharon

I've seen this before:

As confusing as it may sound, this is NOT a security problem, but a
component not installed on the client.

Try to run OWC11.exe. You can find it on C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office Project Server 2003\IIS Virtual Root\DOWNLOAD\1033

Please drop a note if it helps.

P

plan B

Hi,
I had the same problem.
do you have xp web components on all your machines?
I also had to change rights of the role in that OLAP cube but somehow
I had to work with windows authentication...

cheers

M

martha.kearins

I was going to suggest checking your Admin access rights but you have
already done that......hummmmmmm...

S

Selgin

Hi Eran

Thanks for the suggestion, I installed OWC11 on my machine but it didn't help. Though as I mentioned in my post, I could see the OLAP cubes okay when I'm viewing the main ProjectServer site, so I guess the problem is elsewhere, something to do with the sample data installation

Regards

Selgi

----- Eran Dvey-Aharon wrote: ----

I've seen this before

As confusing as it may sound, this is NOT a security problem, but
component not installed on the client

Try to run OWC11.exe. You can find it on C:\Program Files\Microsof
Office Project Server 2003\IIS Virtual Root\DOWNLOAD\103

Please drop a note if it helps

S

Selgin

Hi

Thanks for the reply. XP WC didn't help. Could you kindly elaborate on what changes you made to the rights of t he OLAP cube, and what you mean by working with Windows Authentication? Do you just mean login via the browser using Windows Authenticationmode

Thanks

Selgin
----- plan B wrote: ----

Hi
I had the same problem
do you have xp web components on all your machines
I also had to change rights of the role in that OLAP cube but someho
I had to work with windows authentication..

cheer

A

Amjad Safa

Hi All,

I have faced this problem and today I found the solution. Well, write down all the username that use the machines that can't access the OLAP Cube and go to the Project Server Machine. Click Start -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Analysis Services -> Analysis Manager.

Expand the tree until you find the OLAP Cube you have built. [Analysis Services -> {Server Name} -> {Desired Cube}. Under you Cube, right click Database Roles and click Manage Roles. Click the "New..." Button and the screen will appear that contain a tab called "Membership". Click the Button "Add" and then click "Show Users". Now select all the users you have wrote down using mutliselection (using the CTRL key on keyboard). Click OK and Click OK again and finally click "Close" on the first screen appeared.

Now Try again viewing the Portfolio Analyzer on the machines that had the problem. And hope you are Happy now ;-).

Note: The OLAP Cube now can be accessed only when a user form the users added is logged in (Windows Authentication). If you are using Project Authentication to view the Web Access on the browser or the MS Project Professional 2003, make sure that the windows network username you are logged on with is one of the users you have added through the prcoess above.

Amjad A. Safa

Ask a Question