Old Outlook 2001 emails dragged to desktop- part 2

M

Miker789

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

Well that was interesting. Just when I see some activity on this thread, they put "This discussion is no longer active."

For reference see the link below:
<a href="megawatt, "Old Outlook 2001 emails dragged to desktop" #11, 26 Aug 2008 12:06 pm </?13@@.ee9de49/10>">megawatt, "Old Outlook 2001 emails dragged to desktop" #11, 26 Aug 2008 12:06 pm</a>

Here is a short version:
I have 2 users that would just drag the e-mail from the Outlook 2001 window to their desktop or Mac folder of choice. It would then copy it there with a nice little envelope icon. Then later on when they needed to reference that e-mail, they would double click it, Outlook would launch and open the e-mail.

On Intel Macs, OS 9 is dead, so Outlook 2001 is also dead. I have not found an OS X program that can open and read these files. Word can open them, but with lots of formatting junk strewn throughout the file. Not user friendly.

MOST IMPORTANT PART THAT EVERYBODY SKIPS!
The two users have filed their e-mail this way for 5 years and it is scattered all over folders, CDs and servers. It is not filed within Outlook 2001 and it's folders. It is a single e-mail that was dragged out of Outlook to a Mac folder.

Now imagine a server with thousands of files and folders for projects spanning years. DVDs also. CDs also.

They nested these e-mail files with the Illustrator or Photoshop files in the folder they belonged with.

I have tested Entourage with drag and drop with these files. It does not work. Outlook 2001 saved them in a very proprietary format.

Outlook 2001 will not work. This is an Intel Mac.

Collecting them will not work. I could hire an intern and pay them weeks of intense labor to search through server volumes, DVDs and CD.

Not gonna happen.

I hope this clarifies this.

D

Diane Ross

Well that was interesting. Just when I see some activity on this thread, they
put "This discussion is no longer active."

They are trying to stop threads from going on with multiple users adding on
to it with their own questions. If you access this newsgroup with a
newsreader, it's much easier to search and follow discussions.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/support_options/subnews.html>

I'll see what I can find out about the format for Outlook 2001 emails. What
ending do you see?

M

Miker789

Roger,
I drag and drop it on TextEdit and I get "The file is not in the right format."

If I drop it on Word 2004, it will open it if I select plain text, but lots of junk and formatting crap until you find readable text. But then more junk interspersed. Not gonna happen for the average user
If I select RTF in Word, it will not open it.

If I change the Type and Creator codes, it does open the file in Entourage, but same crap as in Word. Yes the text is in there but it is buried.

Would love to send you a copy but I don't see your e-mail address.

Thanks for the ideas. Have you actually done this?

Ask a Question