Old Outlook 2001 files dragged out of Outlook- How to open now?

M

Miker789

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

Posting again. Diane was going to check this out and never posted back any info. There has got to be others in this situation.

I have 2 users that would just drag the e-mail from the Outlook 2001 window to their desktop or Mac folder of choice. It would then copy it there with a nice little envelope icon. Then later on when they needed to reference that e-mail, they would double click it, Outlook would launch and open the e-mail.

On Intel Macs, OS 9 is dead, so Outlook 2001 is also dead. I have not found an OS X program that can open and read these files. Word can open them, but with lots of formatting junk strewn throughout the file. Not user friendly.

MOST IMPORTANT PART THAT EVERYBODY SKIPS!
The two users have filed their e-mail this way for 5 years and it is scattered all over folders, CDs and servers. It is not filed within Outlook 2001 and it's folders. It is a single e-mail that was dragged out of Outlook to a Mac folder.

Now imagine a server with thousands of files and folders for projects spanning years. DVDs also. CDs also.

They nested these e-mail files with the Illustrator or Photoshop files in the folder they belonged with.

I have tested Entourage with drag and drop with these files. It does not work. Outlook 2001 saved them in a very proprietary format.

Outlook 2001 will not work. This is an Intel Mac.

Collecting them will not work. I could hire an intern and pay them weeks of intense labor to search through server volumes, DVDs and CD.

Not gonna happen.

M

Miker789

Bump.
Somebody has got to have an OS X program that opens individual Outlook 2001 email cleanly.

D

Diane Ross

Bump.
Somebody has got to have an OS X program that opens individual Outlook 2001
email cleanly.

The original messages are not showing up for those of us that use a
newsreader. I have no idea what was suggested or what version of Entourage
you are using.

Have you tried importing with Apple Mail?

If you use a newsreader rather than the Mactopia interface to this newsgroup
you can download old messages and search for answers. If you are not
familiar with a newsreader, Entourage's basic newsreader already has the
Microsoft News server included. All you do is subscribe to the newsgroups
you want. See this page for help:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/support_options/subnews.html>

These are the active newsgroups:

microsoft.public.mac.office
microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage
microsoft.public.mac.office.word
microsoft.public.mac.office.excel
microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint