Once again: 'default' fonts

R

RHead

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

The helpful Microsoft folks keep telling us that Powerpoint does not 'have a default font'. This is a bit irritating, because it clearly does: Calibri. That's the font that comes if you don't do anything else = default.

Apparently, one can create a blank theme template using other fonts, and manually select it each time one creates a new presentation, which gets one out of the default theme template that uses Calibri (which I personally dislike). It's only five steps to create, and another extra three to deploy for each new presentation, but it does work.

But is there really no way to change the default Theme to choose a font we actually like? Is this simply impossible?

(PS to friendly Microsoft help staff: instructions to Mac users that involve the term 'right-click' are not likely to be helpful!)

J

Jim Gordon MVP

The helpful Microsoft folks keep telling us that Powerpoint does not 'have a default font'. This is a bit irritating, because it clearly does: Calibri. That's the font that comes if you don't do anything else = default.

Apparently, one can create a blank theme template using other fonts, and manually select it each time one creates a new presentation, which gets one out of the default theme template that uses Calibri (which I personally dislike). It's only five steps to create, and another extra three to deploy for each new presentation, but it does work.

But is there really no way to change the default Theme to choose a font we actually like? Is this simply impossible?

(PS to friendly Microsoft help staff: instructions to Mac users that involve the term 'right-click' are not likely to be helpful!)

Hi,

This may work for you.

Open a new, blank presentation.
View > Master > Slide Master
Edit > Select All
On the formatting palette choose whatever font you wish to have as the
default.
Repeat for the Notes master and Handout master
View > Normal
File > Save As [give the file a name and a location in Finder] > Save
Quit PowerPoint
In Finder, single-click the saved file's icon
Apple+i (or File > Get Info)
In GetInfo General section click the Stationery Pad button
Close the GetInfo window
Drag the saved file's icon to the Dock

Whenever you want a new, blank presentation with font you like, click
the dock icon.

-Jim

R

RHead

Jim,

Interesting workaround, and I appreciate the suggestions.

When I do it, having set all fonts on the Master page to Times, set as stationery, then open, I get as my font....Ariel!

Nice try, though. At least it's not Calibri!

Hi,

This may work for you.

Edit > Select All
default.
View > Normal
Quit PowerPoint
Close the GetInfo window

the dock icon.

-Jim

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Jim,

Interesting workaround, and I appreciate the suggestions.

When I do it, having set all fonts on the Master page to Times, set as stationery, then open, I get as my font....Ariel!

Nice try, though. At least it's not Calibri!

Hi,

This may work for you.

Edit > Select All
default.
View > Normal
Quit PowerPoint
Close the GetInfo window

the dock icon.

-Jim

Hi,

I just followed my own step-by-step and when I double-clicked the
template file in Finder I got Times New Roman when I opened the
Stationery Template.

There's probably a theme file somewhere that controls the default theme,
but I looked once and could not find it.

=Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The number of new Mac users has skyrocketed. That’s excellent. In this
forum all answers come from other users, not from Microsoft employees.
Please help answer questions.

If you see an unanswered question that you know the answer to, please
take just a moment to post the answer. Doing so speeds response time for
people who come here and need fast responses.

If you see an answer that might be wrong or that you can answer better,
hop right in and offer your thoughts. Don’t berate a wrong answer –
we’re all here trying to help each other.

Don’t bother with questions you’re not quite sure about or don’t know about.

Please take just a moment to help fellow Mac users. Your efforts will be
appreciated greatly - especially by those you help.

R

RHead

Jim,

As far as I can tell, even when I create a custom theme with Times as the selected font in all fields, I _still_ get Calibri when I click a new text box.

In short: no one has been able to provide a method to escape Calibri except rechoosing the font you want EVERY SINGLE TIME you create a text box. That's just how it is, as far as I can determine.

Perhaps this is something that MS can address some day, but for now, PowerPoint has one unavoidable default font: Calibri.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Jim,

As far as I can tell, even when I create a custom theme with Times as the selected font in all fields, I _still_ get Calibri when I click a new text box.

In short: no one has been able to provide a method to escape Calibri except rechoosing the font you want EVERY SINGLE TIME you create a text box. That's just how it is, as far as I can determine.

Perhaps this is something that MS can address some day, but for now, PowerPoint has one unavoidable default font: Calibri.

Aha!

You added a little tidbit here that I didn't pick up on in the previous
messages.

All you have to do to fix the new textbox problem is to follow the
procedure discussed earlier, but before saving the template file you
should add a text box, format the text box as your desired font, then
right-click on the frame of the text box and choose "Set as default text
box." I think you can delete the textbox before saving if you don't need
to have it in the template.

-Jim

Ask a Question