"Open in Excel" vs "Open in Excel Online"

Reaction score
My company has just switched to Office 365.
We were used to Google docs.

We have several shared documents that are collaborated on daily by many people.

When I click an excel file, it takes me to a "view only". Then I have to choose to open it in Excel or Excel Online via the drop-down near the top of the page.

How do I disable the "Open in Excel" functions so that they can only open online? I really don't want a bunch of overwriting errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello,

Some info from MS site that would help understand why excel opens in view only:
Files from the Internet and from other potentially unsafe locations can contain viruses, worms, or other kinds of malware that can harm your computer. To help protect your computer, files from these potentially unsafe locations are opened in Protected View. By using Protected View, you can read a file and see its contents while reducing the risks.

Why is my file opening in Protected View?
Protected View is a read-only mode where most editing functions are disabled. There are several reasons why a file opens in Protected View:

• The file was opened from an Internet location When you see the message in Protected View that says This file originated from an Internet location and might be unsafe. Click for more details., the file is being opened from the Internet. Files from the Internet can have viruses and other harmful content embedded in them. We recommend you edit only the document, if you trust its contents.

f8a387f9-44bd-4de9-b26b-9ab684eeeb92.jpg

• The file was received as an Outlook attachment and your computer policy has defined the sender as unsafe When you see the message in Protected View that says This file originated as an e-mail attachment and might be unsafe. Click for more details, the file was received from a potentially unsafe sender.

bea79754-5dc7-4c20-b822-82996ef20c80.jpg

• The file was opened from an unsafe location When you see the message in Protected View that says This file was opened from a potentially unsafe location. Click for more details., the file was opened from a folder that is unsafe. An example of an unsafe location is your Temporary Internet Files folder.

aa842f91-8731-4f94-9ecf-03ea76d971a5.jpg

• The file is blocked by File Block The following images are examples.

b7654e1a-6193-48f2-bfff-b499cc7ce46e.jpg

Editing isn’t allowed.

d4af8fa1-de0a-4d5d-8b23-cb4de0810894.jpg

Editing is allowed.

• File validation failure When you see a message in Protected View that says Office has detected a problem with this file. Editing it may harm your computer. Click for more details., the file didn’t pass file validation.

543e7719-e111-48cf-9030-350d2d6265a4.jpg

• The file was opened in Protected View by using the Open in Protected View option When you see the message in Protected View that says This file was opened in Protected View. Click for more details., you chose to open the file in Protected View. This can be done by using the Open in Protected View option:
    1. Click File > Open.

2. On the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Open button.

3. From the list, click Open in Protected View.
a242100c-1a1d-4d72-ad72-19552bd3550e.jpg

Important: Administrators can extend the list of potentially unsafe locations to include additional folders also considered unsafe.

Ask a Question