Open XML Converter error when opening .pptx files

P

Paul_Spackman

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I have installed the Open XML Converter (v1.0) and I receive an error ID#-2147483640 when I try to open a .pptx file authored on a PC. I have run the Disc Utility program in order to repair any disc permissions problems as has been suggested elsewhere in this forum.

I am running Office 2004 (v11.5.1) on a MacBook Pro with OS X (v10.4.11).

P

paul.

I have the same problem - I installed the Open XML Converter, ran the Disk Utility to Verify Permissions and Disk, and I still cannot open the .pptx file that my professor provided. (I tried renaming it to .ppt also, but that did not work either.)

My error message read:
"Conversion Error: An error occurred while converting your file.
To fix the problem, go online and download the converter again. If you need support, refer to error identification number -2147483640."

My professor sent me to the following site, but it is only for PCs.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en>

Any ideas for Macs? I believe my professor is using Office 2007 for PC. I'm using PowerPoint 2004 for Mac v11.5.1. I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.3 Update ... it updated Word to 11.5.3 but PowerPoint is still 11.5.1.

Any other ideas on how to fix this would be great.

Thank you.

S

Steve Rindsberg

I have the same problem - I installed the Open XML Converter, ran the Disk Utility to Verify
Permissions and Disk, and I still cannot open the .pptx file that my professor provided. (I tried
renaming it to .ppt also, but that did not work either.)
My error message read:
"Conversion Error: An error occurred while converting your file.
To fix the problem, go online and download the converter again. If you need support, refer to
error identification number -2147483640."
My professor sent me to the following site, but it is only for PCs.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&disp
laylang=en>

Any ideas for Macs? I believe my professor is using Office 2007 for PC. I'm using PowerPoint 2004
for Mac v11.5.1. I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.3 Update ... it
updated Word to 11.5.3 but PowerPoint is still 11.5.1.
Any other ideas on how to fix this would be great.

Can you find a way of suggesting tactfully to your professor that not EVERYONE has upgraded to
PowerPoint 2007/2008 and that it's a lot easier on EVERYONE if s/he simply saves presentations in
PowerPoint 97-2003 format before sending them out.

One minor step for one person instead of causing trouble for what, half the people who receive the
files?

Seems an easy enough equation to solve. <g>

Ask a Question