Opening new document in Excel

B

BudF

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just switched from PC to MacBookPro with Microsoft Office 2008. It seems puzzling that when I open Excel to begin a new workbook there seems to be multiple sheets already open. Is there a way to only one sheet open when starting a new document?
Thank you.

C

CyberTaz

Three sheets is the default number for Mac as well as PC versions of Excel
[although I'm not 100% sure about 2007, but I believe it's the same).

You can change the default in Excel> Preferences - General. Pick a number
from 1-255.

'Preferences' on the Mac are the equivalent of 'Options' in Windows apps.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

B

BudF

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I was not clear as I tried to follow your instructions and it does show "1" sheet in new workbook. What happens when I open Excel is that there are 3 pages across showing columns A-F and 1-49, then to the right G-L and again to the right M-R.
Then below that are the same columns just 50-98 rows and then another below that 99 etc. All of this is on one sheet
All I want to really see is when I open Excel is one sheet with perhaps A - H columns and 1-50 rows. Can that be set up as a template - or perhaps you have another suggestion.
I appreciate your thoughts.

C

CyberTaz

Ahhhh, that makes a difference :) It's something the Win versions don't
have: Page Layout View. It essentially replaces Print Preview in 2008. What
you see in that view is still only 1 *worksheet* but it's displayed as the
individual *sheets of paper* it will take to print it.

You want to be in Normal View... Either select Normal form the View menu or
click the Normal View button at the left end of the Status Bar.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question