Options

Reaction score
Just went from Home & Student 2010 to 2019. In going through Options, I had to open a document to set some of them, for example to show all formatting under Display. I opened a New doc and set what I wanted. At the end, it asked me to save the doc. I did, but if I hadn't would I have lost those changes? That is, are those settings doc specific or for all docs? Some settings of the kind mentioned I want for all docs. Thanks,

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Very few of those options are document-specific - and you can access almost all of them with no documents open.

Reaction score
If no doc open were true, such as for the one I mentioned and some under Advanced, I wouldn't have posted, would I have. I don't know if the original conditions can still be recreated, but do you need screenshots?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
«If no doc open were true, such as for the one I mentioned and some under Advanced, I wouldn't have posted, would I have»
I'm not a mind reader and I don't know what else you changed - simply changing the display options has no effect on a document and would not cause you to need to save anything. Why don't you try it with and without a new blank document open instead of wasting other people's time.

Reaction score
May I suggest a slower re-read of my initial post. In support of it, please see the attached screenshots in Options with the grayed out sections, which occurs if no document is open. It's what got me to write. It's now clear that having any document open, even a new blank, allows those to be seen, and carry on to other docs.

MS Word Options wo doc open - Advanced.JPG
MS Word Options wo doc open - Display.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question