Outlook 2003 SP3 - Multiple phantom emails sent?

Reaction score
This may seem like a solved problem from previous questioners but it's slightly different. We have someone using Outlook 2003 SP3 who tried to send 3 messages a couple of days ago. 2 of them had 8 mbs attachments each and the third had 16 mbs. When it took too long for them to send he decided to delete them from the Outbox and share the attachments alternately (shared folder, etc...). However all three messages did send to recipients. Unfortunately one of them continues to send over and over everytime his outlook goes through the send/receive process. This results in myself (being one of the recipients) and another co-worker getting the same email upwards of about 30 times when we first log in for the day then repeatedly throughout the day. Additionally when his computer does the send/receive process (say, to check for incoming emails) it tells him it's sending 2 messages when there are no messages to be sent. Obviously these are phantom messages from when he tried to initially send the 3 large-attachments messages a few days ago. And it's just 1 of the messages we continue to receive over and over again. Perhaps because the other 2 are spooling? Unfortunately I have yet to figure out where on the computer these spooling messages are so I can delete them from his computer and outlook's queue. We've tried the tool that deletes outbox messages and read receipts but since there is nothing there there's nothing to delete. He's currently running Windows XP. We've also tried removing the sent messages (both the culprits and permanently deleting them as well as the rest of the sent messages moved to a different folder), making sure that outlook.exe only shows up once in the processes on task manager, archiving his email, raising the time on his server timeout limit and other possible 'solutions' with no luck. Virus scans have also been done with no ill results. Thanks in advance for any help provided!

~M

Ask a Question