Outlook 2007 Print to file (.ps) seems to be broken

• Thread starter Divyesh Khandeshi
  • Start date
D

Divyesh Khandeshi

The print to file functionality seems to be broken in outlook 2007.

When trying to print an email, say with 5 pages, using the print to file
from the print dialog using HP PS drivers, the print dialog ask for the
output/destination file for every single page being printed. This is
unacceptable.

Even more strange is that even though a different file is specified it
creates all of those files for every with only the first file containing
all the pages while every other file is 0 bytes.

This is quite annoying.

I have confirmed this issue with a few other people.

Is there a workaround? Is this a known issue? Would a fix be issued soon?

Thanks

DK

B

BillR [MVP]

I just tried this with a HP Printer and didn't get the same problems. Have
you tried it with a different print driver? try the xps printer.

D

Divyesh Khandeshi

I have tried it with several HP different HP print drivers (PS drivers).

The drivers I have tried are for the following HP printer models:
1. Laserjet 9040 mfp PS
2. Color Laserjet 5550 PS

These printers are setup using the "Print to File" printer port in Win XP SP2 all latest recommended and critical patches up to date.

And a few others.

These drivers were obtained using "windows update" when setting up the printer since by default they don't seem to appear.

Come to think of it now, I have noticed this problem after an upgrade to latest XPS print although someone else who I know and is seeing something similar may not have the xps printer.

I just tried setting up the same printer using xps port with the same printer drivers and that seems to make the problem go away! Although, there is a strange thing that happens: If I do not explicitly check on the "print to file" file box on the print dialog, it shows that it prints the file although I am not sure where the output is going. Any ideas?

Thanks

Divyesh

BillR [MVP] wrote: I just tried this with a HP Printer and didn't get the same problems. Have you tried it with a different print driver?  try the xps printer.

B

BillR [MVP]

How about with the drivers from HP? Assuming they have them.

--
Bill R MVP
I have tried it with several HP different HP print drivers (PS drivers).

The drivers I have tried are for the following HP printer models:
1. Laserjet 9040 mfp PS
2. Color Laserjet 5550 PS

These printers are setup using the "Print to File" printer port in Win XP SP2 all latest recommended and critical patches up to date.

And a few others.

These drivers were obtained using "windows update" when setting up the printer since by default they don't seem to appear.

Come to think of it now, I have noticed this problem after an upgrade to latest XPS print although someone else who I know and is seeing something similar may not have the xps printer.

I just tried setting up the same printer using xps port with the same printer drivers and that seems to make the problem go away! Although, there is a strange thing that happens: If I do not explicitly check on the "print to file" file box on the print dialog, it shows that it prints the file although I am not sure where the output is going. Any ideas?

Thanks

Divyesh

BillR [MVP] wrote:
I just tried this with a HP Printer and didn't get the same problems. Have you tried it with a different print driver? try the xps printer.

Ask a Question