Overriding "faux" text formatting...

S

Scott_Franks

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'll say at the outset that I avoid using PowerPoint at all costs whenever possible, so I'm certainly not a power user. Maybe there is a quick fix to my problem that I'm unaware of.

In a title text placeholder, I have selected the font "Century Gothic Bold". When I type into that field in a slide title, I get big fat letters with bad kerning. Essentially, PowerPoint is taking it upon itself to add faux bold to the already-bold characters.

So, I click the "B" button to remove that faux bold and it changes the font to "Century Gothic Regular". So, then I figure that if I hit the "B" button it might just add faux bold to the Regular version and it will be close enough. But, when I do click the "B" button, it changes back to "Century Gothic Bold" and, AGAIN, adds faux bold on top of it.

I'm looking for a check box in the preferences that might disable it. Something like: "Fax bold is ridiculous, I don't want to use it, I will never want to use it...click here to disable it forever".

Anyone know where I can find any such solution? Anyone know if the upcoming update to the Office suite will have more sophisticated text formatting options?

Or...anyone know if Apple will ever make Keynote for Windows so I can stop using PowerPoint? It's so cheap, I'd buy it for all of my PowerPoint-using PC-based clients just so I don't have to deal with this issue and all of the other insane mind-of-its-own formatting that PowerPoint inflicts on me regularly.

Thanks in advance for any solutions, advice or commiserations.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Whatever the reason for what you're seeing, it's not par for the
PowerPoint course.

Are you certain that you have the font Century Gothic Bold on your
system and available to PowerPoint? If not, it's going to choose a
substitute font and that might cause similar issues.

Ask a Question