Page numbering oddity

J

John_Kelin

Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I'm pretty good with Microsoft Word, but I seem to have done something by accident and can't undo it.

I was trying to set up the auto-numbering to re-start second-level numbering in a new section at "a." Used the formatting palette first, then the "bullets and numbering" option from the Formatting menu. I did what I wanted to do. Nice and easy.

But once I'd finished, I noticed the appearance of the page number had changed. Unlike before, it now had (and still has) a gray background. In appearance it looks like it's highlighted, the way you'd highlight text. As far as functions go it doesn't affect anything, but I don't like it. But I'm not sure what I did or how to change it back to the way it was.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

John Kelin

M

Michel Bintener

Hi John,

this highlight is called "field shading", and it is used to indicate
that the text it surrounds is not regular text, but a field generated by
Word. You can turn it off by clicking on Word>Preferences, selecting the
View section and choosing the appropriate option in the dropdown list
next to the words "field shading". You can set it to "Always", "Never",
and "When selected".

J

John_Kelin

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much! Worked like a charm. I don't know how I managed to do that, but do know I was stumped for a fix. Funny how a couple of assured seconds can make aggravation go away.

Best of all, I learned something!

Thanks again,

John

Ask a Question