Pages get wide Left and right borders are off screen

J

John

I'm Building a bit of a catagoue on line hopefully. I tried using text and object containers from a site www.franchise.com. ( If they worked they would have been great ). I took them and stripped them and put my contents in them to see if they would work on body pages using frontpage 2002. When I preview in Browser the pages are stretched out of shape way too wide across the screen. I would also like to make use of the left and right borders for main adverts on all the pages etc..so far this appears to be a bad combination because of the predicament I just mentioned
What I am looking for here is a bulletproof fast, no fuss way to input mass materials in a systematic way. An ad showcas
of businesses. Again a good example of this is www.franchise.com. Another is the way the affilliate company www.linkshare.com does it inside their member site........sweet, simple and gets the job done. If someone could enlighte
me that would help me with this little obsticle that would be just fantastic!

J

Jim Buyens

A site like www.franchise.com typcially uses a three-
column HTML table to organize its content. The left
column contains the links, the right-column contains the
ads, and the middle column (the widest) contains the
actual patge content.

The page banner may sit above this, or it may be the top
row of the table, with all three cells merved.

By default, the three-column table will expand to the
right to accomodate the table contents. It "tries" to
make the page as short as possible, without going past
the right border of the browser window.

If you'd rather the table be a fixed size, just right-
click it in FrontPage, choose Table properties, and
assign the width you want.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
I'm Building a bit of a catagoue on line hopefully. I
tried using text and object containers from a site
www.franchise.com. ( If they worked they would have been
great ). I took them and stripped them and put my
contents in them to see if they would work on body pages
using frontpage 2002. When I preview in Browser the pages
are stretched out of shape way too wide across the
screen. I would also like to make use of the left and
right borders for main adverts on all the pages etc..so
far this appears to be a bad combination because of the
predicament I just mentioned.
What I am looking for here is a bulletproof fast, no
fuss way to input mass materials in a systematic way. An
ad showcase
of businesses. Again a good example of this is
www.franchise.com. Another is the way the affilliate
company www.linkshare.com does it inside their member
site........sweet, simple and gets the job done. If
someone could enlighten

C

Crash Gordon

In addition to what Jim says;

If you choose fixed tables remember to make the table smaller than 800px ( I use 750px )- if you want people with itsy-bitsy monitors and low res. to not have to scroll. Keep in mind that you will have dead space somewhere for viewers with larger monitors or higher res settings. Some designs you will notice center the fixed table so that you have dead space to the left & right of your table, some designs just leave the dead space off to the right.

If you choose collapsing tables, you need to do a little thinking on how to the table will collapse without messing up your design. (this is fun!)

PS..if you use collapsing tables...once you have it all worked out...DONT drag a table or cell border to resize it or it will mess up it's "collapsability".

R.

| I'm Building a bit of a catagoue on line hopefully. I tried using text and object containers from a site www.franchise.com. ( If they worked they would have been great ). I took them and stripped them and put my contents in them to see if they would work on body pages using frontpage 2002. When I preview in Browser the pages are stretched out of shape way too wide across the screen. I would also like to make use of the left and right borders for main adverts on all the pages etc..so far this appears to be a bad combination because of the predicament I just mentioned.
| What I am looking for here is a bulletproof fast, no fuss way to input mass materials in a systematic way. An ad showcase
| of businesses. Again a good example of this is www.franchise.com. Another is the way the affilliate company www.linkshare.com does it inside their member site........sweet, simple and gets the job done. If someone could enlighten
| me that would help me with this little obsticle that would be just fantastic!

Ask a Question