personal.xls: not hidden, auto-opens ( twice )

C

Carla

Just an FYI I stumbled across, looking for why my new update of Excel (2000, over 97, in W2KPro):

Auto-opens personal.xls twice:
Found I had 2 separate copies of the personal.xls file, one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart, and a separate one in C:\Documents and Settings\Carla\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart. I probably copied the 97's personal.xls into the latter, and the program replicated it into the other. Opening Excel became a real test of patience, as each time I attempted to use one of my macro buttons on the toolbar, Excel would complain the file was already open, which made no sense whatsoever. I would constantly have to simply close the personal.xls file completely, usually saving it as prompted and then if I attempted to use a macro button, I would be prompted with the "Enable Macros" gray box. Nosed around and searched through the MS Workgroups, and someone mentioned checking both those folders (I didn't even know there WAS another such folder). Sure enough, duplicate files, their "saved dates" differing only by moments. Removed the one I put in, since the system had replicated it into the folder it obviously preferred to use.

Won't auto-hide personal.xls:
Two-fold here - there were 2 files, and after deleting the extra copy, found a 'sub-routine' to add to the personal.xls file so it will automatically save itself each time it is closed. Link : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153893 "Macro to Automatically Save Personal.xls Without Prompt". I just used the instructions for '97, as there were none for 2000, but AFTER Step 5 and BEFORE Step 6, do a File/Save, so that when you exit Excel in Step 8, the sub-routine you just added will save the personal.xls file again, thus saving its hidden status.

Ask a Question