Pivot Table - Unable to Recover Hidden Item

G

gallantca

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When editing a PivotTable Field it is possible to hide items from being listed in the drop down box of from being displayed in the table area. However, once I have hidden an item I cannot get that particular field to display all of the items again.

Any help would be appreciated.

J

John McGhie

Does any of this help?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051993841033.aspx

If not, you need to tell us exactly what you are doing, step-by-step, and
what happens when you do it.

Cheers

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
When editing a PivotTable Field it is possible to hide items from being listed
in the drop down box of from being displayed in the table area. However, once
I have hidden an item I cannot get that particular field to display all of the
items again.

Any help would be appreciated.

--

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:[email protected]

G

gallantca

The link provided did not resolve my issue. There is no "hide items" located with the top 10 function, nor is there a drop-down arrow next to the field (like there is in my pc version of excel). When I click on the field it opens up the PivotTableField dialog box and shows the various fields, yet all I can do is hide other items. There isn't a mechanism to select/deselect items. Action options (buttons) include: okay, cancel, hide, and advanced. Thank you for your help. Cheryl

X

XinXin

Unfortunately, this is a design flaw. The code of Pivot Table is unbelievably old - it hasn't been updated for years. The only workaround here is cmd+z to undo the "unhide". However, if you've closed the workbook, you will have to recreate the pivot table.

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

G

gallantca

Thank you for the information XinXin.....certainly not what I wanted to hear as it greatly decreases my productivity using the mac version, which will now require me to also maintain pc versions of this software. Any insight as to if and when MS may fix this and many other related issues? Again, thank you for responding. Cheryl

X

XinXin

Since this is a design issue, fixing it in an update will be rather difficult. I will continue to play around to see whether there exists another easy workaround, and let you know if I can find any. Meanwhile, We are investing a lot in the pivot table feature in the next release of MacXL (2011).

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

A

Anonymous Please

I have the same problem and was rather appalled the this bug wasn't fixed. However a workaround is to add a row to the input data for the PivotTable that is filled with '<none>' in each cell in the row. You can then select this item as the one to hide. I presume that since each cell contains text rather than numerical information that it does not affect any calculations.

In any case, my hope is that this bug will be fixed in Excel 2011 and that indeed PivotCharts and other missing features are added. In contrast to some in the Mac community who are biased against MS, I have a high regard for MS Office software and it is a bit disappointing that this bug has been around since 2008....

XinXi wrote:

Since this is a design issue, fixing it in an update will be rather difficult.
20-Mar-10

Since this is a design issue, fixing it in an update will be rather difficult. I will continue to play around to see whether there exists another easy workaround, and let you know if I can find any. Meanwhile, We are investing a lot in the pivot table feature in the next release of MacXL (2011). <br><br>Thanks, <br
XinXin Liu <br
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft <br><br>> Thank you for the information XinXin.....certainly not what I wanted to hear as it greatly decreases my productivity using the mac version, which will now require me to also maintain pc versions of this software. Any insight as to if and when MS may fix this and many other related issues? Again, thank you for responding. Cheryl

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Pivot Table - Unable to Recover Hidden Item
Version: 200
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard
Processor: Inte

When editing a PivotTable Field it is possible to hide items from being listed in the drop down box of from being displayed in the table area. However, once I have hidden an item I cannot get that particular field to display all of the items again. <br><br>Any help would be appreciated.

Does any of this help?
Does any of this help

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051993841033.asp

If not, you need to tell us exactly what you are doing, step-by-step, an
what happens when you do it

Cheer

On 17/03/10 1:29 AM, in article (e-mail address removed)2ac0

-

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about foru
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Lt
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:[email protected]

The link provided did not resolve my issue.
The link provided did not resolve my issue. There is no &quot;hide items&quot; located with the top 10 function, nor is there a drop-down arrow next to the field (like there is in my pc version of excel). When I click on the field it opens up the PivotTableField dialog box and shows the various fields, yet all I can do is hide other items. There is not a mechanism to select/deselect items. Action options (buttons) include: okay, cancel, hide, and advanced. Thank you for your help. Cheryl

Unfortunately, this is a design flaw.
Unfortunately, this is a design flaw. The code of Pivot Table is unbelievably old - it has not been updated for years. The only workaround here is cmd+z to undo the &quot;unhide&quot;. However, if you have closed the workbook, you will have to recreate the pivot table. <br><br>Thanks, <br
XinXin Liu <br
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft <br><br>> The link provided did not resolve my issue. There is no &quot;hide items&quot; located with the top 10 function, nor is there a drop-down arrow next to the field (like there is in my pc version of excel). When I click on the field it opens up the PivotTableField dialog box and shows the various fields, yet all I can do is hide other items. There is not a mechanism to select/deselect items. Action options (buttons) include: okay, cancel, hide, and advanced. Thank you for your help. Cheryl

Thank you for the information XinXin.....
Thank you for the information XinXin.....certainly not what I wanted to hear as it greatly decreases my productivity using the mac version, which will now require me to also maintain pc versions of this software. Any insight as to if and when MS may fix this and many other related issues? Again, thank you for responding. Cheryl

Since this is a design issue, fixing it in an update will be rather difficult.
Since this is a design issue, fixing it in an update will be rather difficult. I will continue to play around to see whether there exists another easy workaround, and let you know if I can find any. Meanwhile, We are investing a lot in the pivot table feature in the next release of MacXL (2011). <br><br>Thanks, <br>
XinXin Liu <br>
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft <br><br>> Thank you for the information XinXin.....certainly not what I wanted to hear as it greatly decreases my productivity using the mac version, which will now require me to also maintain pc versions of this software. Any insight as to if and when MS may fix this and many other related issues? Again, thank you for responding. Cheryl

Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Excel Identifying which formulas are slowing down workbook recalaculation
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...are-slowing-down-workbook-recalaculation.aspx

T

the3rdParty

I think it is possible to unhide hidden items:

1. Right click (ctrl click) the field that has hidden items that you
want to reveal.
2. Select 'Field Settings" from the drop down
3. The hidden items will appear highlighted in "hide items" list in
the lower part of the next dialogue box
4. Cmd-Click the items you want to unhide. This should clear the
highlight
5. Click OK

This normally works, but there are moments when the Pivot Table does