PLEASE HELP!!! I cant convert a cell to text for some reason.

J

Jason Stirret

I'm not the greatest with excel but I would consider myself a solid intermediate user so I should understand any advise I hope to get from this post!

I have numbers (values anyway) in a few cells that I ran an ISTEXT functionon, which came back FALSE; ran ISNUMBER comes back TRUE. To me self explanatory...convert the cell to "text and I'm good. Foe whatever reason I cannot convert the cell. I run the same thing and its still not text but a number. The sheet has no protection and I need to convert everything in this rowto number.

Any ideas? Haven't run into this before and I'm stuck!

Really appreciate any help I can get here!

R

Ron Rosenfeld

I'm not the greatest with excel but I would consider myself a solid intermediate user so I should understand any advise I hope to get from this post!

I have numbers (values anyway) in a few cells that I ran an ISTEXT function on, which came back FALSE; ran ISNUMBER comes back TRUE. To me self explanatory...convert the cell to "text and I'm good. Foe whatever reason I cannot convert the cell. I run the same thing and its still not text but a number. The sheet has no protection and I need to convert everything in this row to number.

Any ideas? Haven't run into this before and I'm stuck!

Really appreciate any help I can get here!

It would be helpful if you would have posted HOW you were trying to convert the value into TEXT.
Assuming all you are doing is changing the formatting, that won't work. Formatting only changes how a value is displayed, not how it is stored.
To change the value into TEXT, you can edit the cell and precede the value with a single quote (it won't show up in the cell; it will show up in the formula bar; and it will tell Excel that the entry is text).
You can also run a macro to format the cell as text, and then re-write the value.

e.g:

For Each myCell In myRange
With myCell
.NumberFormat = "@"
.Value = .Text
End With
Next myCell

Ask a Question