PowerPoint 2003 can't open PowerPoint 2008 file

J

jenniem2000

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I am having the same issues as this post, but discussion was closed there: <http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/PowerPoint/2023>

In short, PPT 2003 is unable to open PPT 2003 files that were edited in PPT 2008, even though the files were saved as ".ppt" files (PPT 97-2004) in 2008.

My corporate clients using PPT 2003 likely do not have control over their IS environments to ensure proper service pack updates or installation of the compatibility pack. However, I think it's safe to assume that the latest service packs are installed.

The error message seen is "PowerPoint cannot read <filename>." Recipients are saving the file to their hard drive, not opening it from their email. I have tried zipping the file before sending, and the same problem occurs.

Why would PPT 2003 have difficulty opening a file created in PPT 2003, edited in 2008, then saved in 2008 as a PPT 97-2004 file with .ppt extension? Is there some kind of converter that could be installed? Or is this an inherent compatibility issue in the software that has not yet been addressed?

I am using a new (Aug '09) Macbook Pro, and Office 2008 with all updates installed. I just installed Snow Leopard this morning, but the file in question was edited previous to that installation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

jenniem2000

Question withdrawn. It was in fact a service pack issue. Updating PPT 2003 to service pack 3 seems to have done the trick.

Apologies for cluttering the forum!

Ask a Question