PowerPoint 2008 Compatibility Issues

M

mzdsassy

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Created a PowerPoint in 2008 with hyperlink to an .mpg and also inserted the same .mpg with automatic play/full screen mode. This PPT is saved down (97-04 version) and is distributed to both PC and MACs on a DVD. The files are packaged PPTs. The videos will not play in full or play without sound on other MACs (not 2008 version) through PowerPoint. They can, however, play the videos from the folder. What can I do?

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Created a PowerPoint in 2008 with hyperlink to an .mpg and also inserted the same .mpg with automatic play/full screen mode. This PPT is saved down (97-04 version) and is distributed to both PC and MACs on a DVD. The files are packaged PPTs. The videos will not play in full or play without sound on other MACs (not 2008 version) through PowerPoint. They can, however, play the videos from the folder. What can I do?

Hi,

Suggestion (not sure if it will make any difference).

Save as 97-2004 format before inserting the video, then use File > Save
As > PowerPoint Package.

-Jim

M

mzdsassy

Thank you so much, Jim!

Yes, I did save the file down first (my default setting).

In reviewing many other forum Q&As, I see two resolutions repeating - Flip4Mac to make videos compatible for all (requiring the software to be downloaded on all computers playing our PPT file) AND/OR requiring all MAC users using PPT versions earlier than 2008 to download the compatibility pack. Will this resolve Windows issues?

Those that are having trouble so far (we distribute these DVDS to a few hundred people) have stated that they can play the .mpg files from the folder just not through the PowerPoint and that the hyperlink is broken but if they relink the first video it relinks the remaining video (weird). Yet, the videos will no longer automatically play during the show (we can deal with this but it would be nice).

I will keep troubleshooting.

Again, thank you.

Danielle

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Thank you so much, Jim!

Yes, I did save the file down first (my default setting).

In reviewing many other forum Q&As, I see two resolutions repeating - Flip4Mac to make videos compatible for all (requiring the software to be downloaded on all computers playing our PPT file) AND/OR requiring all MAC users using PPT versions earlier than 2008 to download the compatibility pack. Will this resolve Windows issues?

Those that are having trouble so far (we distribute these DVDS to a few hundred people) have stated that they can play the .mpg files from the folder just not through the PowerPoint and that the hyperlink is broken but if they relink the first video it relinks the remaining video (weird). Yet, the videos will no longer automatically play during the show (we can deal with this but it would be nice).

I will keep troubleshooting.

Again, thank you.

Danielle

Hi

If you have access to PowerPoint 2004, try using that to build the
presentation and use Save As> PowerPoint Package.

Windows media files do require the Flip4Mac QuickTime codec to play on
Macs, but it is the best format for cross-platform fidelity and file size.

Uncompressed AVI is also cross platform, but the quality is lower and
file sizes can be huge.

-Jim

Ask a Question