Powerpoint 2008 crashes on saving .***x file

R

RJKflyer

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a number of 2004 Templates (.pot).

If i open one of them in the Project Gallery, make some changes, then attempt to save as a .pptx file, PowerPoint crashes.

I CAN save as a .ppt (i.e. not 2008) format.

The error is:
Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _OssCreateExcel12ConverterAddrAEDesc
  Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft PowerPoint
  Expected in: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/MicrosoftChartPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftChartPlugin

(I get the same problem with Word - trying to save ANY 2004 template document as a .dotx file crashes Word).
Looks like some component is missing?

R

RJKflyer

Sorry, in fact I CANNOT save ANY previous .ppt from file or template. PPT just crashes every time.

J

Jim Gordon Mac MVP

Sorry, in fact I CANNOT save ANY previous .ppt from file or template.
PPT just crashes every time.

Hi,

If you did not remove a free trial version of Office, head to the
Applications folder, look in the Microsoft Office folder for Additional
tools and run the Remove Office tool to remove the test drive and remove
preferences files.

Restart the computer.

Empty the trash.

Then, open PowerPoint and use Help > Check for Updates. Make sure you
have all updates installed.

Next, head to the Apple menu use Software Update to install any
operating system updates.

Then use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions and verify the hard drive.

If these steps don't cure the problem, please write back.

-Jim

R

RJKflyer

Hi Jim,

I have only 2004 installed, no trial versions.

I'm on 12.2.4. I tried running the updater again (to be sure all components were right) but it says no valid version found as presumably it's seeing the 12.2.4 version.

On 10.6.3, up to date. Permissions repaired. Twice. All OK. HD OK.

Even looked at the package contents of the updater to see if i could delete the check version code, but couldn't find it easily...

What do you suggest next? I cannot in fact use Word or PPt at all as they crash on any attempt to save documents, with the error noted above.

Some component is obviously missing...

Ask a Question