PowerPoint crashes under Snow Leopard

E

emesar

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Processor: Intel

After upgrading to Snow Leopard I am unable to open any PowerPoint files. The application just hangs and I have to Force Quit. Entourage, Word & Excel seem to be working perfectly. I have repaired permissions & restarted and still no luck. This seems to be a common problem but I don't want to uninstall and reinstall the suite of applications (as has been suggested on another site) so how can I, or Microsoft, resolve this issue? Thank you.

A

alexrc

I had the same issue. I uninstalled Office - see a post elsewhere on this site about removing preferences in the user's library - reinstalled, immediately did an up date from the final install screen and it works!

There seems to be a new update with today's date which must make all the difference as the update from yesterday did not correct the issue.

E

emesar

Thank you for your feedback alexrc but I am trying not to uninstall and reinstall as I will lose all of my linkages that are already set up in Entourage.

As for the "new update" that you mentioned I cannot find that. The 11.5.5 update seems to be the last update for Office 2004.

I sure would like someone from Microsoft to step up to the plate on this as there quite a number of us with this issue.

R

rmbeaudry

Thank you very much for the advice on the PDFmaker.lib removal - worked like a charm. I registered here to thank you and did the same for the mactalk guy.

P

PIX

I also removed the PDFmakerlib file (along with a million other things I've tried) but unfortunately it didn't resolve the acute problems we're having with Powerpoint Office 2008 in Snow Leopard and Leopard in Macs with lots of RAM. Still freezes, incredibly slow, big time lag when typing, it's pretty much a useless program and yet one I need to use.
I agree that Microsoft really needs to deal with this and fast.

M

mominator

I have Powerpoint 2004 with 11.5.5 update and do NOT have PDFmaker.lib. I have Snow Leopard 10.6.1. Intel processor. I tried the right click selection and it still hangs. In every case the cursor also disappears. Other suggestions welcome.

F

fuhrmannr

I have Powerpoint 2004 with 11.5.5 update and do NOT have PDFmaker.lib. Ihave Snow Leopard 10.6.1. Intel processor. I tried the right click selection and it still hangs. In every case the cursor also disappears. Other suggestions welcome.

You should try to get the new update (11.5.6) and see if that helps.
I deleted my PDFmaker.lib file and mine works like a charm now! Thank
you SO much!!!

F

fuhrmannr

I have Powerpoint 2004 with 11.5.5 update and do NOT have PDFmaker.lib. Ihave Snow Leopard 10.6.1. Intel processor. I tried the right click selection and it still hangs. In every case the cursor also disappears. Other suggestions welcome.

You should try to get the new update (11.5.6) and see if that helps.
I deleted my PDFmaker.lib file and mine works like a charm now! Thank
you SO much!!!

Ask a Question