PowerPoint hangs just after launch

K

kidzmatter2me

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have had PowerPoint 2008 installed for about 3 months. I am running 12.1.4. In the last few weeks, PowerPoint has been getting through the splash screen, loading the menu bar items, and hanging. This happens 100% of the time. I have tried it all: repairing permissions, deleting preference files, deleting the font cache, restarting my Mac, clearing system caches, and so on. Nothing makes it launch. A hang report from OS X is below. Any ideas?

Date/Time: 2008-12-03 09:52:48 -0500
OS Version: 10.5.5 (Build 9F33)
Architecture: i386
Report Version: 4

Command: PowerPoint
Path: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft PowerPoint
Version: 12.1.3 (12.1.3)
Build Version: 0
Project Name: (null)
Source Version: 80930
Parent: launchd [91]

PID: 1929
Event: hang
Time: 6.64s
Steps: 40

G

gladyswhit

I am having similar issues. I am running Office 2008 on MacBookPro running OSX 10.5.5 and PPT 12.1.4. I have Office 2008, and Power Point keeps crashing.
- It will work for a time, then I lose menus
- When I try to save a file, it will not and I get a window with a PPT icon and a blue button with characters I cannot read
- I lose the drop down menus. All I see under the File menu is "About PPT," and "Online Registration"
- I can't even quit the app. I have to "force quit"
- It seems to be worse with pptx files. If I save down to .ppt, I don't get the crashing
I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

Can the font folder be a problem? I have installed ADOBE GoLive on the HD. It's not the version for the Intel chip, but it works. I see a whole lot of fonts (some repeats) in the font folder. Not sure which to delete. I open the "font app" and see the dots next to duplicate fonts. NOt sure what to delete.

I'd appreciate any help.

Gladyswhit

G

I'm having the same issues on an iMac desktop running 10.5.5 and Power Point 12.1.3.
It keeps crashing.

12/8/08 7:34:26 PM [0x0-0x2f02f].com.microsoft.Powerpoint[332] Mon Dec 8 19:34:26 carol-imac.local Microsoft PowerPoint[332] <Error>: CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context

I've uninstalled Office 2008. Can anyone tell me what known issues there are with other apps on the HD? I don't have much installed.

The Office install seems to have made a mess of my fonts folder too.

Ask a Question