Powerpoint icon for .xls files?

M

Mr.Cool

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I recently did a clean install of Office 08, including all updates.
Funny thing (well, not really) is that all my excel files (.xls) now have a powerpoint icon. Powerpoint files also, as it should be. Word files (.doc) show up ok.
Any ideas how to solve this? I already changed the default application for .xls to neooffice and then back to excel but again got the poerpoint icons...

M

Mr.Cool

Just tried this, but alas, powerpoint icon remains for the xls files (when I set neooffice as default app I see the neooffice icons, when I set excel I see the powerpoint icons).

C

CyberTaz

Yeah, software of that ilk often impose their own 'generic' identity which
doesn't convert back to what it should actually be. This "may" work...

Try opening one of the files from within Excel [using File> Open], use Save
As to resave the file as 'Excel Workbook (.xlsx)' then close the file. In
Finder, select the file then Command+I, re-specify 'Open With:' as
'Microsoft Excel.app (12.2.4)' , click the 'Change All' button & confirm
'Continue' when prompted.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

P

Phillip Jones, C.E.T.

Did you do on more than one file?

Try repairing Permissions using Disk Utility.

M

Mr.Cool

Problem is solved. In the end what did it was one of computing's basic solutions: restarting the computer.

Still find it strange that this icon situation arose in the first place. Neither changing the default app for 1 file, nor for 30 or more files together, nor permissions repair solved it; only rebooting made the difference.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your quick replies and suggestions!!

Ask a Question