Powerpoint says cannot read a pptx file

J

jenjarratt

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Worked on a file (pptx) save, closed it. Came back to open it and work on it again. Powerpoint says "cannot read filename."
Looked for recent PP updates and uploaded & installed them. Tried again to open file. Same response. How do I recover/read this file?

any help gratefully received. Have not previously had any difficulty w/this version of Powerpoint.

C

CyberTaz

Make sure that both PPT & OS X are fully updated to 12.2.4 & 10.4.11,
respectively. Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

J

jenjarratt

Make sure that both PPT & OS X are fully updated to 12.2.4 & 10.4.11,
> respectively. Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
>
>
> On 5/12/10 7:35 PM, in article (e-mail address removed)2ac0,
> "[email protected]" wrote:
>
>
> Thanks for the advice. I did as you suggested, as well as restarting, etc.

Powerpoint still won't open the file. It now says something is missing. I guess I'll have to give this one up as a lost cause, unless there is anything else you can suggest?

C

CyberTaz

It would help if you'd provide the exact wording of the error message as
well as whether you're trying to open the file by double-clicking it or from
the File> Open command. Any additional details re the file content, whether
it's stored on a local drive or network share, etc. would be useful.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

M

michnads

I am having the same problem. I have been working in PowerPoint with a couple .pptx files. One I've been able to open, work in, save, close and open again. The other, I'm not able to open anymore. I have Office 2004 for my Mac (System Version Mac OS X 10.5.8) and am running Version 11.5.7 PowerPoint.

I just installed the newest converter, and have had no luck opening up the document. When I try, my error message reads as such: An error occurred while converting your file. To fix the problem, go online and download the converter again. If you need support, refer to error identification number -2147483640.

Help would be greatly appreciated, I'm on a deadline for this one...ahhh.

Thanks.

Michelle

Ask a Question