Powerpoint won't open .pptx after 12.2.0 update.

M

missuze

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

So after updating to the Office '08 SP2 we are now unable to open .pptx files, which worked fine under 12.1.9 & previous updates.
When opening, I get the message

"Microsoft PowerPoint cannot open the file. You may need to download the latest updates for Office for Mac. Do you want to visit the Microsoft Web site for more information?"

Ironic as this is the latest update, and promised better speed & reliability!
Fortunately we had not yet rolled out this update to our users but would have caused a whole world of difficulty if we had.
This has happened on 2 systems we have tried it on, and a quick google search for the issue has shown we are not the only ones with this problem.
Any fixes, MS?!

===
MacPro [email protected] / 3gb / 10.5.7

N

Nigelb

The workaround to this problem is to open the document with the Open XML Converter application (downloadable from Mactopia), which will convert the doc back to .ppt format and open in Powerpoint for you. You can then re-save in .pptx format.

It's not clear from the web page that you are directed to when this problem occurs whether Office compliance with the Office Open XML standard (OOXML) has got better or worse. Seems to make no difference to Keynote which will successfully open .pptx files created with before and after SP2 versions. At least we get motion paths and animated GIFs in this version, but at the cost of a shedload of grief. Another direct hit, MS!

R

Rachid

I have downloaded, installed and ran the Open XML Converter application.

==================================
Open XML Converter Log

Start time: 2009-07-23 18:20:25 +0200
Converting file: /Users/rachid/Presentations/Pole-RIA/RIA-june-09.pptx
An error occurred while converting your file. To fix the problem, go online and download the converter again. If you need support, refer to error identification number -2147483641
Conversion failed
End time: 2009-07-23 18:21:19 +0200

M

MarcosM

Hi All,

We are currently investigating this problem, and request your help in finding the cause of this issue. Can each of you send me a sample file? You send it directly to me at (e-mail address removed). Please also include a history of the affected file, to your best recollection, and any source template file you may have used to create the affected file.

The Open XML converter will not help in this case, as Rashid has discovered.

Thanks for your help,

Marcos Montenegro
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corp.

This posting is provided *AS IS* with no warranties, and confers no rights.

S

Shane P

Hi All,

We are currently investigating this problem, and request your help in finding the cause of this issue. Can each of you send me a sample file? You send it directly to me at (e-mail address removed). Please also include a history of the affected file, to your best recollection, and any source templatefile you may have used to create the affected file.

The Open XML converter will not help in this case, as Rashid has discovered.

Thanks for your help,

Marcos Montenegro
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corp.

Having same problem with the 12.2.0 update on MacBook Pro cannot
open .pptx files I created in the last 2 versions. There are several
other people who work with me who have the same problem.

Shane

D

dszpiro

I'll add my name to this list of people who can no longer open *.pptx files after the 12.2.0 update.

My work-around: I have Office for Windows installed on my MacBook running inside a Windows VM using Fusion. I open up the *.pptx file in PowerPoint 2007, save is in the *.ppt PowerPoint 2003 file format. PowerPoint 2008 for the Mac will open the old *.ppt file and then I save that in the *.pptx format. That "new" *.pptx file will open in PowerPoint 2008 unlike any *.pptx file that I created prior to installing the 12.2.0 update.

This is a laborious solution, but at least it works.

L

Labfrog

Well,i don't have that same problem but...

My problem is that when i click open any file,doc,docx,ppt,pptx etc the application opens but i can't see anything. It's like i've hidden the application although i haven't...

Any thoughts about that MS?

L

Labfrog

Oh it seems to have corrupted somehow iWork too... I have the same problem there too.... I'm running on 10.5.7 if this interests you with every single update.

U

U_Parikh

Does anyone know of the MS suggestions on how to address this?
It has been a week since this issue surfaced. This is absolutely insane that MS has not offered a fix for this as yet.

I

Iggles14

I trust that someone will post something here when the problem has been fixed. I can't take a chance on installing the update until I know it's going to work since I use PPT every day in my work.

I

Iggles14

After backing up 12.1.9, I downloaded and installed 12.2.0. I am able to open about half my files. I can't find any pattern. Some files that I've updated within the past week open and others don't. Some files that I haven't touched in a month or two open and others don't. Some were small, others large. Really bizarre.

R

Rachid

Hello

Same question. I urgently need a solution. I posted the pb on July 23. Using Power Point on another machine (Windows) is not a solution for me since I will loose all links to videos installed on my MAC.

By the way, the management of links to videos is not user-friendly at all.

M

MarcosM

Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.1 update is now live! This release fixes the issue where some users were unable to open some PowerPoint (.pptx) & Excel (.xlsx) files. The release is available for English versions today, August 6, and other languages will be available soon.

To download please visit: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx>

Marcos Montenegro
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corp.

C

ClioDK

Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.1 update is now live! This release fixes the issue where some users were unable to open some PowerPoint (.pptx) & Excel (.xlsx) files. The release is available for English versions today, August 6, and other languages will be available soon.
To download please visit: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx>

Marcos Montenegro
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corp.

This update did not solve the problem for me ....

/Jan

Ask a Question