Pptx can't be read by Powerpoint 2004 PC?

M

motiondude

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hi, I've packaged a small project with audio for use on a pc. When exporting as a package it makes the ppt a pptx. I just got word from my client that he can't open it. The client has version 2004 PC. Is there a workaround so that I'll end up with a ppt?

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hi, I've packaged a small project with audio for use on a pc. When exporting as a package it makes the ppt a pptx. I just got word from my client that he can't open it. The client has version 2004 PC. Is there a workaround so that I'll end up with a ppt?

Hi,

If your client has 2004 on a PC then your client has something quite
novel. 2004 runs only on Macs.

Most likely your client has 2003 on windows, and has not yet installed
this update:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&DisplayLang=en

When your client updates their computer (apparently it's been a year or
so at least) then it will be able to work properly and play your file.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are independent experts who are not affiliated with Microsoft.

Visit my blog
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-i7JMeio7cqvhotIUwCzaJWq9

M

motiondude

Thanks Jim, that was really helpful. I'll inform the client. I'm thinking of buying a MacMini with bootcamp in the future. That will save me a lot of trouble.

In the meantime, is there a list of transitions and effects that work cross platform? I know the Mac version has a few more options than the pc version.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Thanks Jim, that was really helpful. I'll inform the client. I'm thinking of buying a MacMini with bootcamp in the future. That will save me a lot of trouble.

In the meantime, is there a list of transitions and effects that work cross platform? I know the Mac version has a few more options than the pc version.

Hi,

Slide transitions and built-in custom animation effects are the same on
the Mac and PC versions of PowerPoint.

To see the entire list of slide transitions in PowerPoint 2004 use the
Slide Show menu and choose Slide Transition. In the Effects section
click on the pop-up menu to see the list.

To see the custom animations you have to dig deeper. All of the current
custom animations are in the Custom Animation dialog box. Some older
animations are available only via Visual Basic.

To see the complete list of animations use Tools > Macro > Visual Basic
Editor. Click on the Object Browser button. In the search box type the
word "effect" without quotation marks, the press Return. Scroll through
the result list.

If you right click on the white space in the lower right quadrant of the
Object Browser, in the pop-up menu choose "Show Hidden Members" to
reveal old things that may still work.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Visit my blog

M

motiondude

Thanks Jim. My client did the update on his 2004 pc version but still wasn't able to properly read my 2008 pptx or ppt. Are there any other windows updates necessary? Service packs or whatever they're called?

The presentation has to run on a tradeshow and the hardware rental company also has a 2003 pc version. I'll have to give them a ring and sort things out.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

motiondude said:
Thanks Jim. My client did the update on his 2004 pc version but still wasn't able to properly read my 2008 pptx or ppt. Are there any other windows updates necessary? Service packs or whatever they're called?

The presentation has to run on a tradeshow and the hardware rental company also has a 2003 pc version. I'll have to give them a ring and sort things out.

Hi again,

What do you mean by "properly"?

If you used a font that's new to Office 2008 then choose something more
generic such as Arial or Helvetica.

What isn't coming through the way you would like it to?

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Visit my blog

M

motiondude

Hi Jim, thanks for getting back at me. By properly I meant just work without any problems. My client reported that he was able to run the pptx once but without audio. The second time the document didn't work at all.

As for fonts, in both documents only one font was used: trebuchet which is used by both platforms. So it's safe to say we can rule out any fontissues.

In the meantime I've cracked the problem. I replaced the pptx for a 97-2007 ppt in the same folder. That worked for both client and rental company who had to put the documents on their machine for the trade show of my client.

They reported that the ppt didn't work with Powerpoint Viewer 2007 but did work with Powerpoint 2003. Strange, isnt't it?

Ask a Question