Printing, paper type/quality selection

G

Galt

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have office for mac 2008 and I have Numbers on my mac. When I print a numbers spreadsheet it prints just fine. I can change the settings in Paper type/quality from all the options it lists. However, in Excel (office for Mac) it will not let me change the setting. It is stuck on HP premium plus photo. It will not let me change to one of the 3 plain paper selections. It will print but it prints extremely slow and not in the format/quality I want. Any suggestions? I have an HP officejet pro L7680 printer. I deleted the printer and re installed with the most recent print drivers. If no one here can help. Do I contact HP, Apple or microsoft?

C

CyberTaz

Do you also have Office & OS X fully updated? Have you repaired disk
permissions & restarted your Mac lately?

C

CyberTaz

Try launching Excel while holding the Shift key to see if that makes any
difference. If that resolves the problem Quit Excel & go to:

UserName/Library/Preferences/

Remove the file named: com.microsoft.Excel.plist

Otherwise, check to see if this is a problem with just the one workbook file
or whether it occurs with others as well ‹ including new ones. Include the
exact update level plus any additional details you can supply.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

G

Galt

I opened a new workbook and the print options worked fine in a new work book. Additionally, I noticed in the new workbook that it has the tray selection on "automatically select." In the workbook that won't allow me to change to plain paper it will also not allow me to change to "automatically select". It is stuck on tray 1. I don't know if this is relevant or not. The tray 1 option is in black and the other options are grayed and I can't select. The same thing that is happening in the Paper type/quality drop down. All gray and can't select.

I tried launching Excel with the shift key held down. It did not make a difference.

I have Excel for mac 2008, version 12.2.4.

I appreciate any more suggestions.

Thanks.

T

timothyjmullen

You simply need to uncheck the "print borderless box". Excel will not allow
you to do this with plain paper.

G

Galt

I wish it was that simple. In the workbooks that won't let me choose plain paper I can't change the borderless printing option either. The option is checked but is grayed out and will not let me change it.

Any other thoughts?

When I email the same workbook to a pc it prints fine (from a different printer). I tried printing from my mac to this same printer wirelessly and the workbook is giving me the same problems and not printing correctly. Does this mean it's either my mac or my driver settings and not excel?

W

Whit Raymond

I have read this thread and I am having same exact problems with not being able to select draft quality, or change paper quality or select automatic tray selection. This is happening when I print from Excel as well as Adobe Acrobat. VERY frustrating because of the time it takes to print and the wasted ink.

Interestingly, this happens with Excel and pdf docusments emailed to me.

What do I do to free the print/paper quality restrictions on a document so i can select quality and tray selection?

Thanks

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have office for mac 2008 and I have Numbers on my mac. When I print a numbers spreadsheet it prints just fine. I can change the settings in Paper type/quality from all the options it lists. However, in Excel (office for Mac) it will not let me change the setting. It is stuck on HP premium plus photo. It will not let me change to one of the 3 plain paper selections. It will print but it prints extremely slow and not in the format/quality I want. Any suggestions? I have an HP officejet pro L7680 printer. I deleted the printer and re installed with the most recent print drivers. If no one here can help. Do I contact HP, Apple or microsoft?
On Thursday, April 08, 2010 4:57 PM CyberTaz wrote:
Do you also have Office & OS X fully updated? Have you repaired disk
permissions & restarted your Mac lately?

S

satto

I am also having an identical problem, 3 years later... I am running Excel 2008 for Mac, v. 12.3.6, on a MacBook Pro 2.66ghz intel core i7. My printeris an Epson WF-7520.
I have been printing fine from this spreadsheet and several others, and suddenly I am now limited in the print window to a choice of premium photo papers and high quality print setting. Changing to my other presets does nothing; the paper and quality choices remain the same. Obviously a bug, but I have quit and restarted, and this file and all .xlsx and .xltm files seem tobe doing this. I can print normally from my .xls files.
I have also tried saving the .xlsx file as and .xls file; no luck.
The only work-around I have found is exporting a PDF to Preview and printing from there.
Has Excel come up with a solution for this or is this their way of forcing me to upgrade (or use lots of ink; maybe a conspiracy with HP?!?)

Ask a Question