Problems opening converted .xlsx documents

S

springeruk

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hi,

I have a problem performing 'Save as' and converting an Excel document from .xls to .xlsx in Office 2008.

The save goes fine and reduces the file size from 4.5mb to 908k which was nice to see, but then when I try to open the document I see the error:
------------------------------------------------------- Excel cannot open this file

The File might have been damaged or modified from its original format
-------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately I retained a copy of the original .xls file which I continue to use in Excel 2008 without any problems.

The same problem has occurred since my first installation of Office 2008 (12.0.0) and has continued through all of the updates to now 12.1.2.

The document itself is reasonably big, but very simple. It's just a reconciliation of my bank account for the last 13 years (I'm self employed, not bored!) with the usual date, item, credit and debit columns plus a balance column with a running total calculation based on the credit and debit columns and the previous balance. There are 13 worksheets (one for each year) with the previous years balance moving onto the top of the next sheet.

Other conversions on smaller documents appear fine and although this document is password protected, saving it without a password has no effect on the outcome.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Ask a Question