Problems opening MS Word 2007 document using Word 2003

Reaction score
I am running MS XP with MS 2003 Word. I received a document in 2007 Word and a Popup box comes up and says can not open and did I want to download a fileconverter to fix this. I clicked that I did and it downloaded the link to this which I tried to download, but before it gets downloaded it stops and says that this converter is already on my computer. I cannot find it, and the Word 2007 document still will not open. Any help would be appreciated.:)

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What file extension does the document have? Word 2007 & later files typically have docx or docm extensions.

Reaction score
The extention is docx .What I am really puzzeled about
Is why formfileconverter will not load...it keeps saying that
It already downloaded...if it is, why won't Word 2003
Convert the Word 2007 file with the docx extention?

Reaction score
The .docx file is a zipped archive. If you rename it to .zip you can open it in Winzip or whatever and extract the files. You may then be able to open the main file to extract the text. I used this technique a few years ago and it works, but you will probably lose all of the formatting.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The extention is docx .What I am really puzzeled about
Is why formfileconverter will not load...it keeps saying that
It already downloaded...if it is, why won't Word 2003
Convert the Word 2007 file with the docx extention?
There may be a problem with the installed converter. Try uninstallit & reinstalling it.

Ask a Question