Problems with Digital Signature/Encryption

T

thepip3r

This question pertains to email Digital Signatures/Encryption in Outlook 2003 clients in an enterprise Exchange 2003 environment.

One of our sites is wanting to require digital certificates when sending emails via Group Policy and has attempted to do so by setting the, "User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Microsoft Office Outlook 2003/Tools | Options.../Security/Cryptography/Sign all email messages" setting available in the Outlook 2003 adm template.

I recieved a call from the site's local computer support office attempting to troubleshoot a number of reasons in regards to this.

1. When people outside of our enterprise try to open the digitally signed email (ie Gmail, Hotmail, etc), they do not see the message in the body of the email.

2. Supposedly even prior to the new GPO requiring digital signatures on emails, when users at this one particular site send an email to someone in the same site digitally signed, the message appears in the sender's Sent Items box and the recipient's Inbox with a blue lock on the envelope icon denoting encryption when it wasn't sent that way. Now when those particular emails are opened, only the digital certificate icon shows up in the header but the lock icon mentioned before is very misleading.

In T/Sing issue 1. I found an article talking about how:

"If you want recipients who don't have S/MIME security to be able to read the message, select the Send this message as clear text signed check box. By default, the check box is selected. "

found here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052423541033.aspx

For issue two, I'm at a loss as far as explaining why the lock is showing up even though it was sent digitally signed and is apparently not encryption the email but still marking it as such.

Can anyone offer me any avenues to assist in troubleshooting how issue 2? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

thepip3
-
NULL

Ask a Question