Product Keys / Installation / Reinstallation

S

S_t_e_v_e

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hello all.

Please bear with me, as the last time I was in front of a Mac it was running system 7.

I've just purchased a new copy of Office for Mac 2008. The software is sold with 3 product keys. I've installed the programme on only one Mac, using the first product key.

For reasons that I've described in another post, concerning how Office fiddles around with the way fonts on the Mac are managed, I'm now considering uninstalling Office, in order to reinstall the programme and choose the option not to let Office mess with the Mac font management system.

So here's my very basic question. I have 3 product keys available with the licence I purchased, and I have already entered one of these product keys into one computer. If I uninstall Office from this Mac, and then reinstall it on the same Mac, will I be forced to use the second of the 3 precious product keys? Or will the first product key still be valid on the same computer? In other words, will the installer be "intelligent" enough to recognise that, although the software is being installed a second time, it is being reinstalled on the same computer?

Thanks for any held anyone will be able to provide.

Stephen

A

Adam Bailey

So here's my very basic question. I have 3 product keys available with the
licence I purchased, and I have already entered one of these product keys
into one computer. If I uninstall Office from this Mac, and then reinstall it
on the same Mac, will I be forced to use the second of the 3 precious product
keys? Or will the first product key still be valid on the same computer? In
other words, will the installer be "intelligent" enough to recognise that,
although the software is being installed a second time, it is being
reinstalled on the same computer?

Office for Mac does not use product activation. You can reinstall it as
many times as you want without any extra steps.

S

S_t_e_v_e

Office for Mac does not use product activation. You can reinstall it as
many times as you want without any extra steps.
[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Thanks very much for your prompt response.

If I've understood you correctly, the Office product key I used during a first-time installation of Office will remain valid on a Mac if I try to reinstall Office on that same Mac.

It seems like the procedure should work this way, although, having said this, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that "Office for Mac does not use product activation". Surely it must use some form of product activation, or else there would be no need for a product key? (I just want to be certain that I won't have to waste another product key for a reinstall on the same computer).

Again, I'm no expert on this stuff.

Thanks.

Stephen.

M

Michel Bintener

It seems like the procedure should work this way, although, having said this,
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that "Office for Mac does not
use product activation". Surely it must use some form of product activation,
or else there would be no need for a product key?

Hi Stephen,

you need a product key to install Office on your Mac. However, unlike Office
for Windows, Mac Office does not need to be activated online with Microsoft.
In other words, Microsoft does not know about which product key you are
using on your Mac.

S

S_t_e_v_e

Hi Stephen,
you need a product key to install Office on your Mac. However, unlike Office
for Windows, Mac Office does not need to be activated online with Microsoft.
In other words, Microsoft does not know about which product key you are
using on your Mac.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, it clears up the ambiguity for me; I was imagining that, as with Office for Windows, Microsoft knew about which product key was being used to activate the software.

Best regards,

Stephen

N

NeilMed

Hi All,

I have this strange problem. I don't understand why this is happening. I bought a new copy of Office 2008. I uninstalled the old version from my MAC and then restarted system in order to install new version.

I did everything which was instructed to me. But when I click on Installer it just does nothing! When I double click the CD icon on my desktop it again opens a page prompting me to double click on the "Office Installer" button. Again when I click it the result is the same. NOTHING happens. I copied it in Applications did try that too, but no result!

What do I do? How do I trouble shoot this? Is my copy valid or genuine? What can be the problem? Is it with CD or my MAC?

Please help! Appreciated!

Sofia

D

Diane Ross

What do I do? How do I trouble shoot this? Is my copy valid or genuine? What
can be the problem? Is it with CD or my MAC?

Where did you purchase your copy? Was it in a sealed box? Do you still have
your receipt?

Ask a Question