Project Server OLAP Cube Issues

R

Richard Cass

My set up is as follows:

Project Server 2003 SP2a running on a Windows 2003 Server SP1 with IIS 6.0 box. This is also a DC.
Using SQL 2000 SP4 for both Project Server and Windows SharePoint Server 2.0 running on a SBS 2003 SP1 box.
Project Server, PWA & SharePoint features all work OK.
Analysis Services SP4 is also running on the SBS 2003 box, and has been migrated.
I have performed all the actions included in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/822220 including creating a separate User Group to include allowed users. This group is within the OLAP Administrators group.
The Admin Update resource tables and OLAP cube page in PWA reports that the cube was successfully built.

Like other posts have reported before, when a client tries to use the Analyse projects in Portfolio Analyzer in PWA, they receive the Unable to access the Microsoft Office Project Portfolio Analyzer OLAP cube message.
If I log on as Administrator on the client computer, I can see the cube.

Now the point to note is that the client has their Project Server account set up with Windows Authentication ie DOMAIN\UserName, whilst the Administraor is set up as Project Server Authentication.
To confirm this, from a client and logging on via PWA using another Project Server Authenticated account also allowed access to the cube.

However, if I log onto either of the server machines with a PS account set up as Windows Authentication, the user can see the cube.

So it appears that the Windows Authentication accounts have the access problem from client machines but not from a server.

With our set up, presumably Project Server is authenticating the domain accounts using IIS on the Windows Server box (where PS is running, and it is a 2nd DC). Should there be any specific settings for the IIS on this machine to allow Windows Authentication?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help resolve this problem.

Richard

D

Don

I have had this happen when the roles on the OLAP Cube within Analysis
Manager were not set properly. On ours we give permissions to the
domain users enforced on the server level with drillthrough disabled on
the MSP_PORTFOLIO_ANALYZER virtual cube. Make sure the check box is
checked in front of the role so that it is active. You may need to
give it on thers depending on what you desire. I hope it is as simple
as this for you.

Don

M

Marc Schoeni

Richard,

If you're using Windows Firewall or other firewalls, make sure you open TCP ports # 2393, 2394, 2725 for the use of OLAP Portfolio Analyzer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301901/en-us

This is only applicable if you have Project Server and SQL Analysis Services running on different boxes.

Let us know if this helps...

Marc S.
MCP for EPM
www.diventis.ch
www.msepm.blogspot.com
"Richard Cass" <richardcass_AT_NO_SPAM_micronav.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag My set up is as follows:

Project Server 2003 SP2a running on a Windows 2003 Server SP1 with IIS 6.0 box. This is also a DC.
Using SQL 2000 SP4 for both Project Server and Windows SharePoint Server 2.0 running on a SBS 2003 SP1 box.
Analysis Services SP4 is also running on the SBS 2003 box, and has been migrated.
I have performed all the actions included in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/822220 including creating a separate User Group to include allowed users. This group is within the OLAP Administrators group.
The Admin Update resource tables and OLAP cube page in PWA reports that the cube was successfully built.

Like other posts have reported before, when a client tries to use the Analyse projects in Portfolio Analyzer in PWA, they receive the Unable to access the Microsoft Office Project Portfolio Analyzer OLAP cube message.

Now the point to note is that the client has their Project Server account set up with Windows Authentication ie DOMAIN\UserName, whilst the Administraor is set up as Project Server Authentication.
To confirm this, from a client and logging on via PWA using another Project Server Authenticated account also allowed access to the cube.

However, if I log onto either of the server machines with a PS account set up as Windows Authentication, the user can see the cube.

So it appears that the Windows Authentication accounts have the access problem from client machines but not from a server.

With our set up, presumably Project Server is authenticating the domain accounts using IIS on the Windows Server box (where PS is running, and it is a 2nd DC). Should there be any specific settings for the IIS on this machine to allow Windows Authentication?

Richard

M

Mike Glen

Hi Richard,

Next time, try posting on the server newsgroup as this one is closing down. Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups. FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm .

Mike Glen
Project MVP

"Richard Cass" <richardcass_AT_NO_SPAM_micronav.co.uk> wrote in message My set up is as follows:

Richard

Ask a Question