Publisher 2010 insert page break and importing Word docs

Reaction score
I'm trying to convert a Word document that is nicely formatted into Publisher because it is 30 pages long and easier to print double sided from Publisher (right?). Well, when I copied and pasted it in, or imported the Word file, I lost all page breaks and major formatting. I notice that most Publisher threads are years old and hope someone out there can help me do this.I don't understand why Publisher and Word are not more compatible. I need to be able to force a page break of text in Publisher and I also would like a more dignified way to import a Word file into Publisher. Help!! ;-)

Reaction score
I'm trying to convert a Word document that is nicely formatted into Publisher because it is 30 pages long and easier to print double sided from Publisher (right?). Well, when I copied and pasted it in, or imported the Word file, I lost all page breaks and major formatting. I notice that most Publisher threads are years old and hope someone out there can help me do this.I don't understand why Publisher and Word are not more compatible. I need to be able to force a page break of text in Publisher and I also would like a more dignified way to import a Word file into Publisher. Help!! ;-)

I don't know what version you are using but I will explain how word works in Publisher. I always ask my contributors to send unformated word docs to me. I copy them right in the Word program and they will come up in the clipboard of Publisher. You can paste them right into Publisher from the clipboard.
Better yet is to scan your docs to jpg and insert them as a picture. Just make sure you don't need any corrections.
Publisher 2016 is wonderful. I do a 16 page state newsletter quarterly and our 64 page garden club yearbook with it.
If you try to put a formatted word doc into Publisher, as is, it will scatter. Do your formatting right in Publisher. It is a publisher program. Word is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Set up your publisher with 30 pages or however many you think it will take. Go to insert a file and insert it in the first page. You will see a small box on the right hand side of the text box indicating that the is more text. Click in the text box and then click in the next page. Repeat this until all of the text is in. Then adjust your pages for breaks. I won't guarantee the formatting but you can undo what you have to and put it in with publisher. Publisher formatting is better that Word and you can do better spacing of lines and paragraphs. Also you probably wont need 30 pages in Publisher because you have better control of the space. Wish I could explain it more clearly but try it.
I would advise you not to format in Word. If you want it exactly as you have it, you can scan it and save it as a jpg and insert it in as a picture. Bad part is that a pic is more memory than a text but you can compress it. This is possible but not my first choice. I have done it when there is no way to put in a preformatted doc without it scattering and I don't want to do it over. I do tell my contributors not to format.

Ask a Question