Registry key for OSE: Deadlock In Office 2003 over OXP

V

Vince

Series of problems when trying to install Office 2003-pro over Office XP in a Windows XP-sp2 system.

The first time, I tried to install Office 2003 over OXP, using option removing all OXP but keep FP 2002. The installation ended with the first error "could not uninstall OXP, the required component missing". After several failed attempts, I decided to go ahead with option leaving whole OXP untouched, the installation went on smoothly, but the nightmare began here.

After the installation, I could not add/modify the installation any more, the second error: "the patch package could not be opened". Following KB Q295823, I removed Office XP entry in the installer configuration by using Installer CleanUp Utility, but the problem remained. Then I removed Office 2003 entry, thinking I have to re-install O2k3 anyway. After that, the package opened and the installer went on a little bit further until the third error came: "SKU011.cab could not be found". Following KB Q896866. I download LIS tool and run it. But the tool said "no source found".

Seems nowhere to go, I finally deleted all the installed OXP, O2k3 program entries and tried to remove all the Reg keys with Microsoft Office label found by RegEdit. It worked at beginning. The installation wizard went on to almost 100%, but ended with the fourth error: "error 1923, Service office source engine OSE could not be installed". Following KB Q903772, I copied OSE.exe to its destination and checked the service. The OSE entry was there but the start-up type field is empty. I tried to change its start type to "manual" but once again failed: the fifth error: "The registry key for this service is missing". I thought I should find the reg key and modify it, but don't know where it is located; and I also don't know even if I am able to solve this, whether there will be the sixth, ... n-th error.

I really regret ignoring the first error, going ahead that leads to a way of no return. I should correct the OXP uninstall error before I install O2k3. What should I do now? I don't want to re-install Windows if I still have any chance.
By the way, the Office 2003 install CD is a SP2-slipstreamed CD, it works fine in the 2nd partition of the same PC running dual boot for another language version of WinXP, and in the problem-partition, substitute with the original CD did not solve the problem.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Vince.

Ask a Question