Regkey fix for Outlook 2007 - outlook anywhere issue

S

SJMP

I have had vista and xp machines running outlook 2007 that have needed this
reg fix to establish a connection with the remote rpc exchange server.

Can you tell me what this key is actually doing? Is this a
machine/application issue or is this a network issue?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type DefConnectOpts, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click DefConnectOpts, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

E

Emily Lin

Hi SJMP,

There is a new feature named "connection optimization" in Outlook 2007. The registry key you described is used to disable this
"connection optimization" feature in Outlook 2007. In this way, Outlook 2007 will act same as Outlook 2003.

When you are using Internet Access or proxy environment which is considered to be a less perfectly connection than Internal Access by
Outlook 2007, some optimization features, such as default gateway check, failover DNS query to WINS, etc. may cause connection
issue between Outlook 2007 and Exchange server. When you encounter any connection issue which only happens in Outlook 2007, you
can try this step to disable the feature to see if the optimization feature is the root cause.

Related KB article:

913843 Error messages when you try to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange Server: "The action cannot be completed" or "Your
Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" or "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;913843

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------

S

SJMP

Thank you Emily. Thats what I was looking for.

Emily Lin said:
Hi SJMP,

There is a new feature named "connection optimization" in Outlook 2007. The registry key you described is used to disable this
"connection optimization" feature in Outlook 2007. In this way, Outlook 2007 will act same as Outlook 2003.

When you are using Internet Access or proxy environment which is considered to be a less perfectly connection than Internal Access by
Outlook 2007, some optimization features, such as default gateway check, failover DNS query to WINS, etc. may cause connection
issue between Outlook 2007 and Exchange server. When you encounter any connection issue which only happens in Outlook 2007, you
can try this step to disable the feature to see if the optimization feature is the root cause.

Related KB article:

913843 Error messages when you try to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange Server: "The action cannot be completed" or "Your
Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" or "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;913843

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

E

Emily Lin

Hi SJMP,

Appreciate your update and response. I am glad to hear that the problem has been fixed.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Emily Lin,

======================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
======================================================

--------------------

Ask a Question