"remove personal information" not working!!

A

AstroGuy

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

So, I've checked "remove personal information from this file on save" in the Security preference panel in Word 2008.

Alas, every now and then, when I look at the File-Properties-Statistics tab, it shows my name! I believe, but haven't tested it enough to confirm, that when I do a Save As, it removes that. But eventually, after doing regular saves, my name reappears!

That is not a good result, especially as I'm about to submit a manuscript for review and it must be anonymous (journal directions are to remove all identifying information)! I was really hoping that I could check that box and be done with it, but looks like not!

Is there a work-around or I am stuck having to remember to do "Save As" before the submission?

M

Michel Bintener

Hi,

are you talking about different documents? The setting to remove personal
information works on a per document basis, meaning that if you enable it for
one document, only that document won't contain any personal information.
Other documents will contain your personal information until you instruct
Word to remove it for that document as well. If you are talking about the
same document, and you can clearly observe that the behaviour is not
consistent for that particular document, stick around, and someone else
might come along to help you. Just out of curiosity: do you use different
versions of Word (perhaps on different platforms) when working on that
document?

A

AstroGuy

Thanks for the reply! It's the exact same document--sorry for not being clearer about that point!

It's all in Word 2008, no other Word version. It is saving the document as a .doc compatible with earlier versions.

But it still should work consistently on the same document, right? Alas, it doesn't!!

Ask a Question