Removing Nested tables in Word

Reaction score
At my work, we have a web-based report generator (written internally). I believe it uses SQL Server Reporting Services.

This generates complex tables - not just a simple grid - some rows act as subheaders and are single column rows or may be a single column per 2 or three columns in the next (data) rows.

The HTML has lots of nested tables to achieve this. It features an Export to Word option.

The output is not pretty. It seems to directly take the table structures from the HTML, so there are lots of nested tables (even if the nested table is 1x1), and quite often the row in the main table is not high enough to show all the data in the nested tables, or the column alignment in consecutive rows goes awry.

Manual reformatting is painful.

We have resorted to manual cut and paste from the web page which produces simpler tables, but as reports can span dozens of pages, this is also time consuming.

Our systems guys have not been able to resolve the problem at source.

Does anyone have any tips (e.g. macro) for bulk removal of nested tables?

I assume this would be complex as it might require analysing a row for nested tables, determining max number of rows in nested tables, splitting the main row into that number of rows, and then merging the other cells which don't require that number of rows.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi
It may be easier to tidy up your manual cut and paste. Are you able to provide a sample page for me to look at and see if I can provide you with a simple solution?
If so send it to (e-mail address removed) and I will take a look.
Tony

Ask a Question