Removing {PAGE/*MERGEFORMAT} from my microsoft document

Reaction score
Pls, I have been working on a document on microsoft word . Just today , I started seeing {PAGE/*MERGEFORMAT} . The references of the document has also been removed and joined to the body of the write up in a disorderly meaningless fashion. I need your urgent help on how to remove this from my write up and get the original document back please.
E.g
Seeing this in the body of my write up:
therapy</keyword></keywords><dates><year>1990</year><pub-dates><date>May</date></pub-dates></dates><isbn>0024-7758 (Print)&#xD;0024-7758 (Linking)</isbn><accession-num>2352247</accession-num><urls><related-...

Thanks for your anticipated helpful response.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have Word's field code display toggled 'on'. Pressing Alt-F9 toggles it on/off. The setting can also be controlled via File>Options>Advanced>Show Document Content>Shoe field codes instead of their values.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I did all the steps listed and the document displayed the page number. However, when I print the page, I still get {PAGE\*MERGEFORMAT}. i tried both options as described. I can toggle back and forth between the actual page number and the MERGEFORMAT phrase but the document still will not print the number. Suggestions?
Thanks

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Evidently, you have Word configured to print field codes instead of their values. See under File|Options|Advanced>Print.