Repeat Action (F4) is not working for line spacing (Word 2010)

CAF

Reaction score
In Word 2010 I cannot get the Repeat Action (F4) to work when changing the spacing before or after a line of text. In previous versions this worked fine, if I increased the spacing above a line to 6pts, then went to other lines of text where I wanted 6pts inserted above, I just highlighted and pressed F4, then 6pts were added. The sections of text are separate paragraphs, and in the Paragraph formatting dialogue, the box for “Don’t add space between lines of the same style” is unticked and line spacing is set at single. F4 is working for other simple actions. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I realize this is 6 years later, but others may be wondering about this too...

If you're typing your paragraphs, the same vertical space is automatically used, right? So you must be referring to changing the vertical spacing of _existing_ paragraphs.

In that case, I've found the easiest way is to drag-select across them (all but the first, whose spacing you presumably want to continue), then use keyboard commands to quickly open the Paragraph dialog and apply the spacing you want:

1. Alt+o (Format menu)
2. p (Paragraph window)
3. Alt+b or Alt+e (space before / space after)
4. Type the spacing value
5. Press Enter to close the window

It seems like a lot of steps—but if you do retroactive spacing adjustment as often as I do (e.g. to accommodate page breaks), it becomes second-nature, and takes about 3 seconds. :?)

Ask a Question