Repeatable Excel Crash - Save as Webpage (sheet)

I

infpguy

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've got a workbook that has a sheet I'd like to save as a webpage for sharing a report. However, every time I attempt to save the sheet as a webpage Excel crashes, throws the crash reporting dialog, and then restarts.

The workbook is a ".xlsx" format file (the .xlsb format has proven to be so unstable as to be unusable with constant crashes.). There are 16 worksheets with a about 2-3 thousand raw data cells and another 2-3 thousand formula cells. The sheet in question contains a 10 cell x 36 cell summary of data input sheet. The "summary" uses a date method to perform lookups into the data input sheet for the data elements to display (most cells in the summary contain "indirect(address(...))" like functions. The summary cells also have a conditional formatting rule that colors the columns to identify weekend days. This data is then used for a series of 6 charts that are displayed in the worksheet's "page 2".

As a result of the crash there is no output files, html or otherwise (haven't tried looking for hidden or temp files).

Any ideas on what could be causing the crash and if there is a workaround.

Oh, and before anyone asks... no I can't share the workbook as the data is proprietary. If it really matters, I can try to work up an alternative with junk data that does the same work.

X

XinXin

Yes - please fill your workbook with junk data and send me ([email protected]) a copy? We will investigate this crash.

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

I

infpguy

Yes - please fill your workbook with junk data and send me ([email protected]) a copy? We will investigate this crash.
>
> Thanks,
> XinXin Liu
> Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

Give me a couple days to put it together... and it will be on its way

I

infpguy

I've tried to obscure the data and it alters the behavior... so, I got permission from my management to share the spreadsheet "as-is" (sent to your email specified above).

If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask. I ZIPed the spreadsheet to send it and I hope that doesn't alter the behavior as a result. If this proves to be a problem I can make arrangements to drop a copy by one of the MS campuses in Bellevue, Redmond, or Issaquah if you can tell me where to drop it. (If you want to see it live, I can make arrangement to demo it on my MacBook on request.)

Bo...

X

XinXin

Thanks for sending me the workbook, Bo! I will work with you offline on this crash.

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Test Lead, Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

Ask a Question