Reviewing Toolbar won't display

D

danieljhale

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

I can't make the reviewing toolbar show in Word 2008. I've selected it (View>Toolbars>Reviewing), and it's checked there, but it's not displaying. Comments that I'd inserted in documents I last saved in Word 2004 are still there, and if I'd previously selected Track Changes in those documents, it will track additional changes. In new documents, however, the only way I can find to insert new comments is to select Insert>Comment; I've found no way to Track Changes.

D

danieljhale

I accidentally answered my own question. Apparently in Word 2008, even if you select the Reviewing Toolbar, it won't display if it's docked and your Word Dock is hidden. Up until a few moments ago, I didn't even know there was a Word Doc. Anyway, if you're having the same problem I was having, this is what you need to do: Navigate View>Customize Menus and Toolbars... then deselect the little checkbox under Dock. If the Reviewing Toolbar is selected, it will magically appear. And, as an FYI on the Word Dock: There's a little TicTac-shaped button in the upper-right-hand corner of your Word window. If your Word Dock is hidden, click it and the Dock will display. Click the TicTac again, and the Dock will hide itself. Not at all obvious. Not at all Mac-like.

C

CyberTaz

H Daniel -

Glad you got it resolved, but...

I accidentally answered my own question. Apparently in Word 2008, even if
you select the Reviewing Toolbar, it won't display if it's docked and your
Word Dock is hidden. Up until a few moments ago, I didn't even know there
was a Word Doc. Anyway, if you're having the same problem I was having,
this is what you need to do: Navigate View>Customize Menus and
Toolbars... then deselect the little checkbox under Dock. If the Reviewing
Toolbar is selected, it will magically appear. And, as an FYI on the Word
Dock: There's a little TicTac-shaped button in the upper-right-hand corner
of your Word window. If your Word Dock is hidden, click it and the Dock
will display. Click the TicTac again, and the Dock will hide itself. Not at
all obvious. Not at all Mac-like.

.... and not at all Microsoft, either. Launch Apple's Preview app, Pages, or
any number of other programs that offer toolbars & you'll see that they
behave the same way - it's a part of the OS X guidelines:)

D

danieljhale

The Reviewing Toolbar docked and hid itself when I installed Office 2008. I never opened the Word Dock, and the Word Dock never opened itself. Since View>Toolbars>Reviewing didn't open the Dock or otherwise allow me to, I dunno, VIEW the Reviewing toolbar, I fail to see how that's obvious or Mac-like.

C

CyberTaz

<snip>
I fail to see how that's obvious or Mac-like.
<snip>

I did not say that it was either of the two... I simply pointed out that the
behavior follows the Apple OS X Human Interface Guidelines.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question