revision lines on Word

T

techwrite

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I need to show when text is revised by inserting a line in the left margin. This works ok on text, and has worked with tables and ToC in past versions (2004 for Mac). Now in the new version it causes formatting chaos.
I draw a line in the left margin of a page with a table and when the mouse is released the line a) disappears, or b) jumps up to the previous page, or c) jumps over into the table and displaces the contents downward off the page.
I am not using the Track Changes feature.
What do I try next?

C

CyberTaz

If you don't want to use Track Changes I'd suggest using Format> Borders &
Shading. Apply a paragraph border to the left side only. Drawn floating
graphics in a document still undergoing revision is bound to fail.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

T

techwrite

Thanks for the reply. Use of the Format>Borders works on the ToC, but means that the revision line is limited in its left-right positioning. I cannot get this method to work beside tables - the lines in the table change to a finer size or disappear.

For many years, using Word 2004 version 11.5.6 (Mac OS 10.4.11) I have been able to add this revision line with the line drawing tool. But now with Word 2008 version 12.2.4 it goes haywire adjacent to tables. I took my file to a PC with a recent version of Word and there were no problems with using the line drawing tool – that editor has always used that method. As a work around solution I have cranked up my old computer to work on these files. I have done the 'Track Changes' tutorial to see if there is stuff I have missed.

Background: I compile technical manuals for the aviation industry. They are very traditional to standards set by the US and Britain 50+ years ago. A change to a document is shown by a vertical line in the left margin and the page date is then changed. Every change has to be approved by a government inspector. This method allows the inspector and the technical staff to readily see that there is a change to the procedure.

As you can see, changing this procedure is not an option. If I can't provide this service, then my clients will go elsewhere - or I switch to another program that will. There must be other tech editors out there who have to conform to standards set by government or industry - how do you deal with this problem?

C

CyberTaz

Yeah, ya gotta do what ya gotta do :) But I believe the main source of
consternation may simply stem from the default wrapping. See how it works if
you go to Word> Preferences> Edit & change the default Text Wrap
('Insert/paste pictures as:') to In Front of Text or Behind Text.

If that works for you it might not be a bad idea to add a formatted vertical
line to the Scrapbook so you can just drag one into the document when you
need it. Ordinarily I'd suggest doing it by way of AutoText but that would
require disturbing the content in order to insert it when needed. Then you'd
still have to move it. By adding one to the Scrapbook you can just put it
right into the margin where you want it & resize as necessary.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

T

techwrite

Thanks Bob, that has put me on the right track. Have been trying all the combinations you suggested. The Text Wrap seems to be the best - I had tried some of that but didn't seem to get the desired results.
Use of the Scrapbook for this was a new one for me. Many thanks.
Have learned more about Word in a few weeks from reading your columns than all the times I tried the built-in Help!

Ask a Question