Save Document Settings to Template (Word 2010)

J

Jeri Sires

Our users need to insert certain information from their documents into the document footer. I have created a userform from which they can select the options they want to insert for the current document.

The userform is stored in a custom global .dotm template. It creates/sets the value for several DocVariables based on the user's selections.

The DocVariables are saved with the document, but I want to give them the opportunity to have Word remember their settings i.e. save them to Normal.dotm if the user checks the "Remember Settings" check box.

Bottom line: How can I save various settings selected by a user to either the attached template or some other loaded template. AND, how can I access those settings from a document that has a different attached template (i.e. they created the document from letter.dotm and the settings are stored in Normal.dotm).

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance, Jeri

A

Art H

Our users need to insert certain information from their documents into the document footer.  I have created a userform from which they can select the options they want to insert for the current document.

The userform is stored in a custom global .dotm template.  It creates/sets the value for several DocVariables based on the user's selections.

The DocVariables are saved with the document, but I want to give them theopportunity to have Word remember their settings i.e. save them to Normal.dotm if the user checks the "Remember Settings" check box.  

Bottom line:  How can I save various settings selected by a user to either the attached template or some other loaded template.  AND, how can I access those settings from a document that has a different attached template (i.e. they created the document from letter.dotm and the settings are stored in Normal.dotm).

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance, Jeri

Jeri,

See if SaveSetting and GetSetting might be of help.

J

Jeri Sires

Art ~

Thank you so much! I haven't tried it yet, but I think this might be exactly what I need!

Again - Thanks!

Jeri

Ask a Question