Save function deletes entire presentation

I

IT_Guy

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

I have a user running Office 2008 on OS 10. Yesterday he spent an entire day working on a presentation for an upcoming sales meeting and when he went to save the changes everything was deleted except for the original filename. The file was originally saved on a network drive. I checked the drive from the server just in case there might have been a glitch with the iMac but it was there with none of the changes saved just a blank presentation. I am a Windows guy so I'm not sure if ther eis some hidden folder that PowerPoint svae work to for auto recovery or not. I did restore the original file from a backup but the backup was from last Friday so any work done yesterday was not there. Has anybody seen this before?

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

I have a user running Office 2008 on OS 10. Yesterday he spent an entire day working on a presentation for an upcoming sales meeting and when he went to save the changes everything was deleted except for the original filename. The file was originally saved on a network drive. I checked the drive from the server just in case there might have been a glitch with the iMac but it was there with none of the changes saved just a blank presentation. I am a Windows guy so I'm not sure if ther eis some hidden folder that PowerPoint svae work to for auto recovery or not. I did restore the original file from a backup but the backup was from last Friday so any work done yesterday was not there. Has anybody seen this before?

Hi

To find out if an autorecovery file was saved, check PowerPoint's
preferences. Look on the Save tab. If the checkbox "Save AutoRecovery
info every XX minutes" is checked, then an AutoRecovery file probably
exists. If it is not checked, don't waste your time doing a file search
for AutoRecovery.

My personal preference is to work on files that I have copied to a local
drive rather than open them on a network drive, particularly if I am
going to work on one all day, as your user did. When I'm done I copy the
finished file to the network drive. But that's just me.

Check the Mac OS preferences for Time Machine. If the network drive is
included in the backup schedule, search Time Machine for both the
original and AutoRecover files (if AutoRecover was turned on). Hopefully
your user saved the file once or twice during the day.

-Jim

Ask a Question